Mobo compatibility w/ my comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quintox

Daemon Poster
i want to play CS source, so i CAN run it on a PCI (radeon 9200 256mb) i guess, but agp would be so much better, but my mobo doesn't have agp (which is weird b/c my comp is less than 1 yr old)
specs on my comp so far are

80 gig HD
2.8 celeron processer
768 ram

anyway, i have a compaq s6220wm coomputer, but i heard that i can't upgrade it w/ a new mobo b/c of the case or something like that, which i dont understand b/c the case looks normal to me

heres a link for my computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...roduct=396419&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00061385

so i dunno what to do?! now, my other comp is a dell dimension 4500s, but it's case is shaped weird, so i doubt i can upgrade that either

so any help please!

the case might look normal but generally companies like Compaq, dell , HP, places like that make their own cases which means the normal screw holes for a motherboard probably won't be found. They could have it turned differently or something like that.

Pretty weird that it wouldn't have an AGP slot though =/

Suggestions - Stop getting pre-made computers...dive head first into the world of building computers :D You should just pick up a cheap case and then with that buy yourself a new mobo and then you won't have to worry about things not fitting.

With $100 you can get a new case and new mobo that's probably a lot more up-to-date than your current mobo

yes, that's what i'll do sometime (summer when i get job), but how do i know what to get that will still be compatible w/ my setup?

there is so many case options such as atx tower full, atx mid tower, etc ( i think mid tower is the one i want) and power wattage confuses me on which to get

see, all i want to do is transfer my stuff from this PC to the new case/mobo. the only things that will be diff is vid card, and mobo

well ATX is the natural form factor of the motherboards. You want an ATX form factor case and mobo...now when they say atx full tower or mid tower all that means is how big the case it, but the ATX tells you a regular ATX or even Micro-ATX motherboard will fit in there.

A mid-tower will simply be smaller than a full-tower or 'Super-Tower' ...those are just bigger, taller, have more drives etc..etc..

Like I said just focus on an ATX board and ATX case...but for the most part you'd probably have more difficulty finding one that DOESN"T meet those specs.

Regarding compatibility you just mainly need to atleast know what socket your CPU is.

Download a program called CPU-Z and it'll give you all the information you require about your current CPU and motherboard to give you a better idea on what you should be looking for.

As for power wattage, well it depends on what kind of things you have in your system but you not only look at the wattage but how big the rails are meaning the +3.3v, +5v, and +12v rails. Your CPU runs off the +12v rail so you really want to get a PSU with a strong +12v rail. If you look on the side of a PSU you will see the sticker that says it's ratings.

+3.3v - 30a
+5v - 25a
+12v - 15a

You should see something like that. Try to get a PSU with atleast 18a but just come back here when you are shopping around and we will help you get the parts you need.

wow thanks for all the info! :)

i wont be doing this till summer tho when i get a job

PS. will a radeon 9200 256mb 128 bit PCI card run counter strike source on lowest settings (for now)

Quintox said:
wow thanks for all the info! :)

i wont be doing this till summer tho when i get a job

PS. will a radeon 9200 256mb 128 bit PCI card run counter strike source on lowest settings (for now)

run? yes. run playibly? seriously doubtfull (if it was AGP then yea.. but PCI is a whole other story)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom