Mobo/CMOS Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnselk

Baseband Member
I need some help here. ...please.

I was given an older computer that I am trying to get running again. I has this Microstar mobo.....model MS 6117 ver 1.1 LX6.

It was in a Tangent case (home build?) that said "2000 Compliant" on the front. So I don't guess it's THAT old. But it does have a slot 1, pentium II, with mmx in it (333Mhz).

It's the mobo that has the larger sized cpu turned up on it's edge. What type slot is that? Hey, I'm new at this guys....and learning.

When I received it, the mobo/CMOS battery was gone. So I need someone to help me decide what type "nickel sized" battery I need for my mobo. I'm assuming I can't get this computer running (at least for long) without this little battery.

Sure would appreciate some help from my friends here. Thanks guys.

By the way, you never hear much about the mobo battery....why is that?

It is just a standard watch battery radio shack sell them in packs ask them they will know what you are talking about :)

and you don't often hear about the CMOS battery as that is all it is, a battery, the only thing you may ever have to do to it, is change it or remove it to clear the CMOS memory after a complete system fail

hope this helps

chrisds said:
......the only thing you may ever have to do to it, is change it or remove it to clear the CMOS memory after a complete system fail.

....."or remove it to clear the CMOS memory after a complete system fail"........I don't understand at all what you mean.

1. Why would you want to clear the CMOS memory?

2. What is CMOS memory?

3. Do you need a CMOS battery at all? If so, what is it's function?

Could you please explain this a bit in detail so I (a newbie) will be able to understand what you mean?

Thanks chris, I appreciate your response to my post. This is the only way I'm ever going to learn about computers.

P.S. I understand now that most (99+%) of the CMOS batteries are the nickel sized "CR2032" type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom