Mixing Ram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC-Reefer

Solid State Member
I currently only have a single 1GB clip of Corsair Ram and wanted to upgrade to the OCZ Platinum 2x2GB Dual Channel Memory. Will I have to remove the 1 GB Clip or am I still able to use it for a total of 5GB?

depends on the speed of the RAM, and also if u do choose to do that, you wont be able to run dual channel any more...so your peak bandwidth is halved if im not mistaken...

I can tell you one thing, 5gb is going to be pretty much useless. The 2x2 will be more than enough to satisfy your needs. Also, you need a 64bit os to use more than 3.5gb of memory, including video memory.

Like said above, you will need a 64 bit operating system even to recognize more than about 3.5 gigs of memory. In most any case, this is plenty, and the advantage of running the 2 two gig sticks in dual channel far outweigh having 5 gigs and 2 of them you cant even utilize.

Like said above, you will need a 64 bit operating system even to recognize more than about 3.5 gigs of memory. In most any case, this is plenty, and the advantage of running the 2 two gig sticks in dual channel far outweigh having 5 gigs and 2 of them you cant even utilize.

you can put 4 gigs in dual channel,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom