Missing sound after partition joining

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrownedBird

Baseband Member
Dear members of this board,
On my Laptop Compaq Armada with WIN 98 SE I have joined two partitions, and up from that time my audio is silent! The speaker sign in the autostart is disappeared. The systems controller states that the audio unit is activated and working. Under DOS audio is still working; (available command in autoexec.bat: SET BLASTER= A220 15 D1 T3 ). The volume control is at its maximum position. How I can reactivate my audio in the autostart?
Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.
Best regards Herbert :)

If everything looks ok in device manager (control panel - system -device manager) then best thing to do probably is uninstall the sound card driver then reinstall it.

Do this by removing all entries for it in device manager. You could also check add/remove programs & remove any software for the sound card in there if any exists.

Reboot the machine & windows should redetect sound card & let you install driver for it.

Missing sound

Hello Samm,
Thanks for your message, but it didn't help. No change. When I go to multimedia in the systems controller I find the first tab called audio completely grey (inactive). In the last tab the audio device is ESS audioDrive WDM. Its mentioned there that the driver is activated and used. Moreover audio facilities are activated and used is on.
What else can I try?
Best regards Herbert

Don't go into multimedia, instead go into the system icon, then to the tab marked device manager. Expand the sound, video & game controllers entry & let me know what is listed in there & whether any of the entries have a yellow exclaimation mark on them.

Hi Samm,
Thanks for your reply. Please find here my answers to your query. I expanded the sound, video & game controllers, and found the following entries:
- ES 1878 Control Interface (WDM)
- ES 1878 Plug & Play Audio Drive (WDM)
- Gameport-Joystick
No entry has a yellow exclamation mark! All entries seems to be ok.
My best regards to you. Herbert

Have you tried uninstalling the sound card by removing each of those entries from device manager?

Hi Samm,
I did that this morning without any success. After the laptop booted, the system identified that it found devices without drivers, searched for them and installed them and windows started. I deleted three entries, but only two entries are back now. The entry “Gameport-Joystick” is missing. I never used the Gameport-Joystick driver, so I think this is not of importance for me.
Any other advice, what I could do?
Best regards. Herbert

Ok, go into control panel & open the 'add/remove programs' option. Select the Windows Setup tab.
Scroll down to multimedia & click on details. Scroll down to sound recorder.
If this it not ticked, then tick it & click OK.
If it is already ticked, then untick it & click ok, then click apply & OK.
This will remove the sound recorder. Next go back into multimedia & tick the sound recorder box. OK & apply.
This will reinstall the sound recorder option.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi Samm,
I unticked the sound recorder, applied and affirmed with ok. Then I went to multimedia, but the first tab ( audio playback and audio record ) there still is completely grey (inactive), as I already stated in my second message to you. I don't have any chance to activate something there.
Best regards. Herbert

Hi again,
Sorry, I misunderstood you. Yes, after I went back to multimedia, the system asked for the WIN 98 CD ROM, and copied the files and activated the soundrecorder again. Unfortunately it didn't help. The sound is still missing.
OMG, this seems to be a serious difficult problem. Please let me know, should you have any further idea, which could solve the problem. My best regards. Herbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom