Mini ATX vs IDE Hard Drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2005, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Mini ATX vs IDE Hard Drive

I hope this is the right place to post this. Today I bought a new computer that has a Mini ATX with SATA hard drive. I don't want the SATA as I already have an established hard drive that I want to use. So I unplug the SATA and disable it in the Bios.

I plug in the IDE hard drive, boot up... get no failures during POST. I get the annoying "Windows did not shut down properly" message and choose Start Normally. The Bar along the bottom goes halfway then the system reboots.

So I try again, this time I choose to start up in safe mode. Again it restarts halfway.

I tried a different hard drive (as mine came out of an HP machine) but it wouldn't start either all the way either.

Any suggestions? I've played around with the bios so much I can't remember all of the settings that I've tried but none keep the PC from rebooting.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Did you reinstall the operating system on the hard drive

Old 07-21-2005, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No I didn't, was trying not to because of 120 gig of graphic files on this other hard drive that I want to use... including my settings, web files, etc etc.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

If you can transfer all that data to the Sata drive, set up the sata and install windows: put the ide drive in as the slave; transfer your data to the sata. Then set the sata as the slave and install windows on the IDE master. You now trnasfer your data back to the ide drive and keep the sata as a slave or (better for speed) once you have transfer your data to the new sata keep it as the boot master and use the IDE as the slave for back up with all your data already on board!!!!! Better to have two hard drives for back up anyway!!! Capice? (italian for "Understand?")
Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

One option you can try, although I think it is better to do a fresh install whenever you do a major upgrade, is boot up off the XP CD and do a repair installation.

BE HEARD - Techonvent
DS3 | E6400 - 3.2GHz 24/7 | 2GB OCZ PLat. PC6400 | 6800GT | Zippy 460W
What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

Rico got it spot on.

One of the potentially great things about "LONGHORN" will be that you will be able to have it installed on an HDD and swap it out to a completely new system & MOBO.... The first time you boot, it will automatically recognize all of the system components and configure itself automatically. Evidently, some of the production team at MS that is working on "LONGHORN" - are also avid gamers and modders. And this is their christmas present to us... lol
Old 07-21-2005, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

So much to try! Thank you for your fast replies.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to timmer

i had the same thing happen to me and i had to reformat
Intel p4 HT 3.0GHz
1 16x Toshiba dvd burner
2 sticks of corsair ddr2 533mhz 512mb
GeForce Fx 6600GT
Asus P5LD2
480W thermaltake
Old 07-21-2005, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Windows basically takes a snapshot of your system's configuration when it is installed. So, unless the system you swapped the drive into is basically identical, Windows will not work, period.

I do hope that feature is incorporated into Longhorn, even though I probably won't touch it for at least the first year after its release.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Closed Thread