Midi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landoix

Baseband Member
What does MIDI stand for and what does it exactly do? I know that its one of the extra things I put into back of case and it usually yellow I think..I did this because I dont believe it was built into motherboard I/O slots. Some type of gaming port maybe?

Also, whats so great about FireWire? I know its supposedly so much better than USB, but why? And what it used for!? Just a techie feeding on information..:D

MIDI-musical instrument digital interface.

Definition: The MIDI standard is supported by most synthesizers, so sounds created on one synthesizer can be played and manipulated on another synthesizer. Computers that have a MIDI interface can record sounds created by a synthesizer and then manipulate the data to produce new sounds. For example, you can change the key of a composition with a single keystroke.

As for Firewire....

Firewire-MAC (but PC compatible)
USB-PC (MAC compatible)
USB 1.1: 12 megabits per second
FireWire: 400 mbps
USB 2.0: 480 mbps

-anarchy

Yes just a little more info i have a mac about 1 year old i hate them and dont use it but macs live around USB they usualy come packaged with USB mice and keyboards. Becuase the macs dont usualy have mice and keyboard ports they use USB entirely. Unless you have that G4 tower

Wow thanks alot man. Knew USB 2.0 was good, but faster than FireWire? Cool (my friend always says how much better it is than USB..)

While USB 2.0 is supposed to be a little faster than the the present FireWire (480 versus 400?), in reality the throughput is better with FireWire. The number one reason? The FireWire controller is built into it, USB uses the CPU. It's hard to multitask using a hard drive hooked up to the USB 2.0 because whenever the CPU gets loaded down, either the process stops or the USB stops transferring information. If you do go with USB 2.0 just because it says USB 2.0 compatible doesn't mean it has 2.0 speed. I think you have to make sure it says High Speed USB 2.0. I think there are presently three speed versions out there.

Landoix said:
Wow thanks alot man. Knew USB 2.0 was good, but faster than FireWire? Cool (my friend always says how much better it is than USB..)

No problem ma man.

anarchy said:

As for Firewire....

Firewire-MAC (but PC compatible)

Clarification: Firewire was a joint venture project by Sony, Apple, Texas Instruments and a couple other companies, thought the patents are held jointly by Apple and Sony, who hold separate trademarks on their proprietary names for the spec: "Firewire" for Apple and "i.Link" for Sony. Since it is an IEEE Ratfied spec (IEEE1394) and has its own host controller on chip, it is platform independent.

This should tell you everything you want to know.

USB, on the other hand, was created by Intel and thus was a PC spec ported :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom