Memory Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaZyFLiP

Baseband Member
I'm looking to upgrade my memory but I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for. My motherboard is the ASUS A7V8X. I currently have a PC-3200 512Mb (not sure of the brand). I read TF's Guide but still confused on the whole Dual Channel RAM thing. I'm not sure if my MoBo supports this or not. Is there RAM made specifically for Dual Channel or is it just combining 2 identical RAM.

Anyways what RAM do you recommend for me? Do I need to go with 2 PC-2700 now since I'm already using one 3200? TIA!

Dual channel is combining identical ram. Im not 100%, on this but it looks like yours only has 3 slots, so, I dont think it has dual channel support. Check your manual, it should have something about memory configuration.

i think it should support it, i have another asus board and it only has 3 slots. 2 slots close together on the leftside and 1 on the right side with a further gap. on the left side i have 2x256mbs , and on the right side i have 1x 512mbs and it runs in dual channel.

Dual Channel is simple, you use 2 (or with pentium boards) multiples thereof RAM chips.

So if your 512Mb of RAM is one chip (and not 2x256Mb chips) then you should buy one more DDR400 (PC3200) chip and that will max out your motherboard. (According to the published specs)

If you using 2x256Mb PC3200 then you will have to add some PC2700 in the other slot, but they will need to be a matched pair (identical chips) and will decrease the overall speed of your RAM to PC2700.

If I were you I would go for the first option if possible since so few applications need more than 1Gb of RAM (though I am currently running 2Gbs of DDR400 and its sweet.) If you do have to downgrade your speed to add more RAM buy a good brand with good specs, that should help you get the most out of the slower PC2700 RAM.

Why would anyone build a mobo with 3 dimms...oh nvm.

With dual channel, the RAM needs to support it, the mobo needs to support it. You put the RAM into the arrangment specified in the mobo manual, and then u enable it in the BIOS

The man speaks sence!

And yeah I have never worked out why they did that dumbassed 3 slot config.

Just another reason to hate all things AMD i guess. :)

See its not AMD as such, its just that for years every mobo manufacturer made the AMD compatable ones with 3 slots, why, who knows?

But the point is that it made using AMD stuff unpleasent since it reduced your options for upgrade later. The only reason all mobo makers would do something like that would be due the the technical specs of the CPU in question.

So via that logic it is a reason to dislike (maybe hate is too strong a word) AMD.

Please guys, dont let this turn into a flame war!

the 3 dimm config was for duron boards, but they corrected themselves with the XPs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom