Memory upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

basketcase421

Solid State Member
I want to upgrade the memory in my computer form 512 to 1 gig. My current mobo and cpu support upto pc2100. WHat happens if I put in, lets say, pc3200? Will that ram just run at the lower speed? Or will it not work at all. I don't want to buy a gig of pc2100, cause I know that at some point I will upgrade my mobo and proc to something much faster that would probably support faster ram.

Any suggestions?

Ok, so i shouldn't have any problems with memory timings or any stuff like that? I don't know a whole lot about that. Cuz this would be so sweet to get the faster ram... it's cheaper. LOL
Thanks

Anyone else have any input? Not that I doubt you DJ-Chris... I just want to make sure this won't hurt the ram or the computer by doing this. I also am wondering if this would make things more unstable.

Thanks

The reason I want to have another reply is that on other forums I have had people tell me that you always want to use ram that matches your mobo. I don't want to screw anything up.

If you put faster ram in than what you have, the speed and timings will be downclocked to the lowest speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom