Memory Test-86 v3.2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2004, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Memory Test-86 v3.2

I downloaded memtest-86 v3.2, burned a CD from the iso file and booted from the cd ok. Memtest runs up to the L2 cache and then hangs there. Memtest computes the system speed a little off and indicates ddr398, not ddr400 as it should be. Running the Intel Processor Freq ID Utility shows I have a CPU freq of 2.80 ghz and the system buss running at 800mhz. BIOS shows a system buss of 800mhz with memory speed of 400mhz running in dual channel mode.
My question is has anyone made a bootable cd as I have from the downloaded memtest-86 iso file?? Has it ran OK??? I see many times suggestions for people to run memtest-86, what form has anyone downloaded and run the test and which version. In other words has it run from DOS or windows ??? Thanks for any information you may provide.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I ran memtest86 v1.27 from a floppydisk (DOS)

TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 11-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 11-16-2004, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

I just ran memtest86 v3.1 on a bootable floppy. I posted a question on what my results were.
Member of the right wing conspiracy theory.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 11-17-2004, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Maybe I will have to go with a bootable floppy with memtest on it. I read of your memory error following some number of pass counts. You should not see memory errors. I have developed memory tests for testing special boards and we ran tests for say a weekend to make sure the boards were ok. Record the errors you see on the tests, over time you may be able to pin down where it is. Sometimes you may get a drop in line voltage to your house, that sort of thing and it can crash the machine or make it look like you have problems. Memory errors can simply be because of heat combined with certain tests. So recording errors with the failing test will help to pin point it. Just my opinion, hope this helps you to understand memory fail.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

well I got memtest86+ 1.27 I think and I just burned it on a CD, works fine for me

Closed Thread