Memory Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Fox

OCZ SSD Enthusiast
I recently found that my memory (OCZ Platinum 2 x 2gb 1066ghz) is about twice the price of any single 4gb chip of the same speed. If I recall correctly, any 4gb chip of the same speed used to be twice the price of my memory. Did the market for 4gb chips drop or something?

Second, is it better to have less sticks of memory with high amounts (like one 4gb vs. 2 x 2gb)? I only ask because I had recently gone to Apple's website and found that their mac pro uses either 3x1gb, 3x2gb, 4x2gb, etc instead of using just one 4gb to begin with. Why they'd want to do something like that when 4gb chips have become so much cheaper...?

Dual channel will not make them any faster, but processing time does improve. Single channel sticks are going down because no one buys them anymore.

So it would be cheaper to just get 2 x 4gb for dual channel and it would still be the same performance as 4 x 2gb...?

I have 4 x 2gb as well after I get my replacement memory...but I originally got 2gb chips because 4gb were so much more expensive...now I wish I had gone with the 4gb :( oh well..who needs more than 8gb anyway.. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom