Memory Problems- Big Problems!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carniva

In Runtime
Hi Guys

I recently bought an extra 512mb of corsair xms pro p3200xl, and when i try to boot with both sticks in, it will not boot into windows. I have tried every combination of dimm slots, but still no joy. It will however boot into windows fine with only 1 stick (512mb) installed!!

I was hoping that someone would have a solution or maybe point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance

yeah thats what i thought, but the new sticks works fine when install on its own, so that doesn't seem to be the problem!

I'm going to take a guess here, but do you happen to have Dual Channel mode setup in the BIOS?

Your CPU and mobo have to support it and it should automatically go into dual channel. That's how it was with the 3500+ 64 and MSI Neo2-Platinum system I put together was. It used dimms 1 & 2 because it alternated colors green and purple...green was channel a, purple was channel B, I don't know what the Abit one is. Does your computer atleast post and can you get into the BIOS. You need to download memtest86+ plus if the computer POSTS and make a bootable disk or floppy and check to see what memory errors you get. Test each stick seperately to see if one gets errors and the other doesn't. If this is the case you'll need to return the pair.

I'm probably wrong, but, it might have something to do with buying the RAM at different times. The two RAM sticks might be slightly different and that might be causing problems.

Check to make sure that the build version for the 3200XL is the same on both modules. As Nubius mentioned above, diagnose the modules with Memtest86+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom