Memory G.Skill or Mushkin Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.

skildner

Solid State Member
I am looking for the fastest memory for for my DFI Lanparty mobo. G.Skill has some DDR600 out with 2.5-4-4-8 timing and very low voltage 2.65V-2.85V. Will this overclock faster than the Mushkin Redline? The Redline are DDR500 with 2-2-2 timings, but very high 3.3V-3.5V voltage. They also require active cooling. What's the deal with that? There is also the OCZ GX Memory. What should I look for? How do these compare?

The Redline are DDR500 with 2-2-2 timings, but very high 3.3V-3.5V voltage. They also require active cooling. What's the deal with that?
because the mushkin are for extreme enthusiasts muchlike the OCZ VX (Voltage XTREME) series.....they require a lot of voltage but you can get some ridiculously high MHz with tight timings...those G.Skills use Samsung TCCD chips which will generally get higher speeds than the Mushkin Redline which utilizes chips like the BH-5 which LOVE the voltage......TCCD's will get the higher speeds but generally looser timings (Chances are you could get to DDR600 at 2.5-3-3-7 if you used 3v)

It requires active cooling (mushkins) because at 3.2v and above the RAM can get quite warm...a simply 80mm fan blowing above them is enough to cool them so that's all they mean by active.

Given like 3.7v it's not uncommon for those mushkins or the OCZ VX series to hit like 270Mhz (DDR540) with 2-2-2-5 timings....hell guy named SolidNecro over at pimprig did a review on the OCZ CX and with 3.7v his was running 2-2-2-2 timings....

I've also seen some people running 1-2-2-5 timings but that's HIGHLY uncommon

I see you use Patriot XBL. Is that because it is the best bang for the buck? Anyhow I play a lot of FPS games, so which memory type would give me better performance the G.Skills or Mushkin or would you recommend something else? Thanx

I use patriot because at the time they were $50+ cheaper than the OCZ Platinum Rev2's

What kind of computer are you putting this in by the way? I see you said DFI lanparty but what board exactly and CPU? I hope you know that those memory modules won't simply pop in and run at those high speeds, you gotta clock em up that high yourself...the DFI Nf4 Ultra-d Socket939 AMD64 motherboard is the only motherboard that's capable of giving those Mushkins enough voltage also.

Memory like the mushkin I'd probably consider more for the 'advanced' user because of the required voltage and it's tweakability for tight timings at high speeds.

Best performance would be the memory that can reach the highest overall speed with the best timings.....the mushkin like said will take a lot of voltage to get there.

If you dont know how to overclock then I'd suggest you go with the G.Skills

PQI Turbos
Patriot XBL
G.Skill LAs

those all have Samsung TCCD chips which = high overall speed with decent timings.

OCZ Platinum Rev2s switched from TCCDs to TCC5's which are pretty much the same although sometimes not as good as the TCCD chips

I just mainly wanted to make it clear to you that you won't be able to pop it in your system and run it....this is why I wanted to know what exact mobo and CPU you're getting.

I will be using a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR. It sounds to me that I'd be better off with the G.Skills. Now I'm just a little confused about which ones to get. They recently came out with DDR 600 (F1-4800DSU2-1GBFR), but a review I read said that there was limited overclocking ability with these compared to the DDR 550 (F1-3200DSU2-1GBLA) which has raving reviews for its great overclocking. They both cost about $235 which confuses me even more. (I'm looking on newegg by the way). I'm also getting the Athlon 64 X2 4400+.
Thanx

if your a gamer, the 4400 is not for you, and you WILL NOT see any gaming performance over single core chips. get the fx-53 or 55 intead you'll be happier.

You got the dough? Get 1 gig of the G Skill LA's... THE BEST!!! I'm still waiting to be able to afford mine.

Currently Dual Core is useless for games, but that is only until they start writing games for dual core. Also I do a lot of Media encoding and multitasking so dual core would be very benficial. Also the difference between the 4400+ and even the FX-57 isn't enough to justify passing on dual core. Why would you get the G.Skill LA's over the FR's?

FR's? I'd go with the LA's over anything, unless they were obviously better than the LA's, but the LA's are the best RAM out right now IMNSHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom