Memory Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

scj6771

Baseband Member
Thought you all may be able to help this DDR newbie.... my motherboard supports up to 3GB of DDR333/DDR266/DDR200 memory and would like some suggestions on the best configuration for my machine, I use the machine for strictly gaming and would like to get the best performance I can, the motherboard is a Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra and the CPU I am running is a P4 Northwood 1.6. Thanks in advance.

I would buy a new motherboard and processor first off. I don think that 1.6 with that mobo will cut it.

But if you are going to stay with that setup I would use at lease 1 GIG and buy the 333mhz.

Go with 1 GB of RAM. It doesnt matter if you get one, two, or three sticks to get 1GB total, so whatever you can find for the cheapest.

Also, if your CPU has a FSB of 400MHz, get RAM that is DDR200 (unless the faster stuff is cheaper).

SHAWN said:
^ I think the P4 1.6's have the 400 fsb's.

Thats what I kinda thought, too. So as long as the memory is DDR200, or higher (whatever is cheaper) it should work.

uzi9mm said:
You can get 3200 cheaper than slower speed ram. Why? I don't know. It must be a supply and demand issue.

I think it must be the supply and demand thing too. For most new computers (except using DDR2) PC3200 is the standard, so everyone concentrates on it.

I think with PC3200 underclocked to PC2100 speeds, the timings would probably be pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom