memory bus timings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeTheIdiot

Baseband Member
while looking at my memory speeds in Everest i noticed that on the "memory bus" section the ram speeds are listed as below:

bus type: DDR SDRAM
bus width: 64-bit
real clock: 167MHz (DDR)
effective clock: 333MHz
bandwidth: 2667MB/s

as i am running 1 gig of pc3200 ram shouldn't the clock speeds be 200 and 400MHz respectively? and the bandwidth 3200MB/s? i have the ram clock speed set to auto in the bios, and everest recognises the ram as pc3200. i tried setting the memory speed to 400MHz in the bios but the system became unstable. is this the right setting or should it be something else?

thanks,

joe

asus p4v8x-x mobo, yeah it supports pc3200. and BOTH sticks are 3200 if you were thinking one was slower! i'm really confused as to why the bios would set pc3200 to pc2700 automatically!:mad:

joe

How many sticks do you have? Some motherboards downgrade when you have 2 or 3.

Just set the speed manually, it will be fine.

i'm using 2 sticks of 512, but like i said, i tried setting the frequency manually, but windows was severley unstable. although when left as pc2700, windows is fine.

joe

i know. the cpu fsb is 100MHz actual, 400MHz effective. so it should all match up right?!
thanks for your suggestions so far!

joe

Whoa.... what are you running that has an FSB of 100? Are you running an older P4 with quad FSB?

If so, then thats your problem. Your RAM timings are too fast for the CPU.

doesn't the effective fsb mean the fsb speed is 400MHz tho? its a 2.6 celeron (i know) so not that old, right?

joe

Effective Bus Speed means nothing... FSB is FSB. If your celeron has a FSB of 100 MHz, thats going to cause trouble with 200 MHz RAM.

Example: 200 MHz RAM (Effective 400 MHz), should be paired with a 200 MHz FSB

Thats my understanding anyway.... Someone else get in here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom