Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biscuitlover

Solid State Member
I just recently bought a Dell Dimension 8400 PC. It came with 512 MB of DDR2 SDRAM at 400mhz, PC-2 3200. I am looking to upgrade the Memory to 1G by adding another 512MB stick. I do not want to buy it from Dell because I believe it could be bought for much cheaper elsewhere. I was looking at Kingston Memory but I am concerned about compatability with the Dell memory already installed. I do not know the pin count of the memory card installed either. Is the info above enough to purchase the proper memory for my computer? Thanks, Nick

It's most likely going to be 184 pin DIMM sticks, but it is Dell, so they may have proprietary sticks. Find out what they are charging, then look up the same sticks but a different brand and check the price. If it is close or the same, get the Dell. It willbe guaranteed to work, as where if you went somewhere else for it there would be no such gaurantee.

You said it is DDR2. Make sure that is right. If it is, it will actually be 240 pin, but all DDR2 is 240 pin. In that case any DDR2 400 RAM will work np. (DDR2 400 = PC2 3200)

Any DDR2 should work in their

And PC3200 DDR2 is the most pointless thing ever, except maybee if your worried about power consumption.

dell doesnt have their own brand of memory sticks... they also used branded rams.... you can mix it with any ram.. just make sure that you buy the same rame as the one your pc has... i mean on its speed properties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom