Megapixels DonÂ’t Matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
A technology writer for the NY Times has a fairly interesting editorial posted today on why megapixels donÂ’t matter. Definitely something for people to keep in mind this holiday season when you are camera shopping.

We blew up a photograph to 16 x 24 inches at a professional photo lab. One print had 13-megapixel resolution; one had 8; the third had 5. Same exact photo, down-rezzed twice, all three printed at the same poster size. I wanted to hang them all on a wall in Times Square and challenge passersby to see if they could tell the difference.

While some people might be skeptical, I have to agree with this guyÂ…after a certain point, you canÂ’t really tell the difference. Obviously there will be a visible difference between 1.3 megapixels and 5 megapixels, but I think anything above that will be just as the author says, very hard to tell any difference.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/11/21/21pogues-posts-2/

Nice find warez. Now I can save some money. I was thinking of an 8.1MP sony digital cam, but I'm just going to pick a 7.2MP.

Okay? Let's have 5 foot tall prints, 10.5mp, 7.1mp, and 5mp, I guarantee you'll be able to tell the difference. ;)

Yeah, if youre big on photoshop, or want to crop out alot of a picture, then you will want more MPs. That said the 5.1 I have works great for most of my purposes

Yea, for everyday users 5.1 seems to work just fine. The average user is not going to be able to tell a difference unless they dissect the picture...

Although if they were the same price... i'd take the higher megapixel one :p

InvestorJeff said:
Yea, for everyday users 5.1 seems to work just fine. The average user is not going to be able to tell a difference unless they dissect the picture...

Although if they were the same price... i'd take the higher megapixel one :p

yea but what if the camera with the higher megapixel rating is a peice of [snipped] and would more than likely die in a week? Gives ya something to think about doesnt it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom