Megaflops, gigaflops, BLASPHEMY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I hear the term throw around, especially by Apple. Remember when they first released the G2? The ad slogan was "Nevermind gigahertz, we're talking gigaflops!"

To this day, I still wonder what the hell they mean. I have torn massive holes in the internet looking for a definition, or a satisfactory one, but to no avail.

Can someone tell me what the hell it stands for?!

MegaFlops
GigaFlops...

What is a Flop?!

FLoating point Operations Per Second.. :)

Yeah screw MHZ and GHZ.. I think mega/giga/teraflops are the way to go :p.. Supercomputers are measured in "teraflops". It gives a measure of performance as opposed to the "frequency" the CPU is running at.

FLOPS = frequency (in Hz) x # of flops per cycle (possibly <1)

So is a flop the amount of operations it can do at once?

I think AMD can do 3 (don't take my word on it though) so it would be for my processor 1836000000 X 3 = 5508000000??

No a flop is a floating point operation per second, FL OP. So 3 megaflops would be 3 million floating point operations in one second.

Trifid said:
So is a flop the amount of operations it can do at once?

No! :). # of floating point operations that it can do in a second. Check my formula man to see how the processor frequency and FLOPS relate. Wrote it when I was sleepy (still sleepy). I am sure it's right though. :)

For example, if it takes the processor 3 clock cycles to do a floating point operation, on a 3 GHz machine, it will do ~ 1 gigaflops.

I think apple is a bunch of hippies with overpriced computers and always looking for newer hippie names to call their things to try and get more consumers even though they will always be far behind.

Let us not even mention the whole 'graphics myth' "ehh macs are better for graphcis" riiiiight that's why jim henson studios is using AMD Opterons in their production and other companies are using windows or linux based rendering and programs like maya, softimage, lightwave and etc........ aint on macs

charles_scott said:
If you wanna know your gigaflop/megaflop get performance test 4.0

Do us a favor and link it for us.

Nubius, a little off topic. Way to vent your frustration on Macs. Now I hate Apple as much as the next guy, but I would have to disagree with you. i have worked at many a place with graphics departments, and they use macs. i have had many discussions with people who have been doing graphics their whole life (well, as long as possible anyway) on Macs and they prefer them hands down to PC's.

Now I am in NO WAY condoning the use of Macs, I'm just saying that they, unfortunetely, do do some graphics better than PC's. Granted, there is software like Maya and news technology comming out (Opteron, just to name one) that will blow Macs out of the water on every level.

i have worked at many a place with graphics departments, and they use macs.
Yeah I've taken graphical classes that use macs, doesn't mean they are better.

Macs don't do better than PC's that is a blatent myth. Go to any high end studio, like I said Jim henson, Pixar, whoever else you want that's done high end 3D movies, and they aren't using macs. Final Fantasy the most 'crazy' 3d film to date........made using Maya and lightwave on a PC......

Macs doing good in graphics is purely a myth

How about mac's in audio nubius?

You know, their's a right and a wrong answer, it's not debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom