MB/CPU/RAM/VideoCard Upgrade; Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn9643

Solid State Member
My old desktop crashed. FIC PA2013 MB, AMD K6III 450 CPU. I've decided on a Chaintech PCI-E motherboard and AMD 64 3000 CPU, moderate/low priced PCI-E graphics card, and 1g Crucial ram.
In an effort to salvage data on my hard-drive I would like to know if I can get by with starting the system in "safe" mode, removing all hardware drivers from the system, and restarting. Would Windows then pick up the correct information to operate properly with the new hardware?
If not, is there any way to salvage the data as the old system is dead. I hate to have to format and lose it all. Thanks.

I dont suggest chaintech boards. I suggest getting any kind of MSI, Abit, or DFI. You can find nonexpensive boards from MSI and Abit. DFI will be a little more. Also, dont get a socket 754 system, make sure its 939. Socket 939 wont be expensive either.

The new 939 cores are coming out. If you have a little extra money, i would consider them. But overall, dont go socket 754 and chaintech. I would save your HDD. Then hook them up to a friends computer or your new computer as a slave drive. Then you can extract your data from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom