Maxtor hard drives....

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 10gb maxtor harddrive in my 6 year-old pc andit has never failed on me.

Seagate drives are know for their reliability
Western Digital for their speed
And Maxtor for being........unreliable :)

I just checked my maxtor drive using speedfan. 0% fitness, 100% performace. Its not looking good. 18 months of heavy use put this one to the grave. Lets see how long seagate lasts.

The samsung drives I use have lasted longer than the maxtor, they dont get as much heavy use, but pritty close.

I had two new 160 SATA OEM Maxtor drives from ZipZoomFly, a month after installed the RAID broke, then one wouldnt recognize at all, it spins but doesnt do anything else. I had the other hooked up but it was unreliable, every time I tried to start HL2 it said SATA drive unplugged, I have checked the connections a million times and used diff cables and it still does it. I put my other drive that wasnt working into my buddy's G5 and after like a month one day it started working, he put some data on it, then it quit, now it does nothing. I also have a Maxtor 250 IDE, this one works fine but ofc Windows only recognizes 127gb's so I gotta go do that thing in the run box and get to the HD utility or whatever but I cant remember it. So I think my drives are faulty but not sure if I can do anything since they are OEM, so to make a short story long, there it is.

Just go start >> settings >> control pannell >> administrative tools >> computer management >> disk manager

Once there you might have to format and assign a letter to the other part of the drive.

the explosion from my maxtor killed three people... but there is some good news... i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurrance by switching to geico.

Unless drive companies are just plain bad, there's no declaring a clear winner. Some drives are just built in a bad bunch and will fail, this goes for every company. Sometimes you are stuck with the bad batch, and sometimes the good batch, it's all luck really.

I have had a WD 80GB hard drive since April and it has performed just fine, speaking from experience.

By the way...
Seagate - quiter, slow
Western Digital - reliable
Maxtor - fast, loud

My maxtor is pretty quiet actually. I can only hear it in the middle of the night when it is dead quiet. Even then, its not loud enough to be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom