Maxtor 6Y250P0 long initial access time problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

arhar

Beta member
Hi,

Recently, I've got a second hard drive - Maxtor 6Y250P0 (250 GB). I also kept my other hard drive - Maxtor 6Y120P0 (complete system stats below). I created two partitions on the new hard drive, both about equal size. One of them is C drive with Windows installation.

The problem is this: when I just turn on the computer and want to access something on the F drive (the other partition), the computer hangs for about a minute, and then shows the contents of that folder and works fine. Now, next time I want to access something on the C drive, same thing happens - one minute long wait.

The old 120 GB hard drive is empty, and does not seem to affect things. I tried defragmenting the hard drive, but that didn't help. So if you have any idea why this is happening, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Complete system specs:

Athlon XP 1900 CPU
HD1: 250 GB Maxtor 6Y250P0
HD1: 120 GB Maxtor 6Y120P0
Motherboard: ECS K7S5A
CD burner: Sony CD-RW CRX195E1
DVD drive: Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612

make sure the jumpers are set corectly

I C u have 4 IDE devices. There best setup would be to put ur primary HD with windows in IDE0 last connector and put the second HD on the middle connector. If you are using both HD, s very much I would put 1 HD and 1 CD drive on IDE0 and 1 HD and 1CD drive on IDE1.

But mixing IDE and ATAPI (cd-rom ) devices can cause problems. So i ewould try to unplug the other device on the cable of the drive wich is causing ur slow acces times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom