Maximum length for ethernet cable?

darsunt

In Runtime
I have a internet router upstairs, and a media computer downstairs. I want to be able to connect the media computer to the internet once in awhile without dragging it upstairs. The cable would have to be maybe 50 feet long. I believe the signal would not be degraded, is this true?

Depends on if it's stranded or not. Most cables are stranded due to the flexibility , so odds are that's what you have. If that's the case, the "industry standard" is 33 Feet (10 meters). That being said, I've seen thee cables work fine around 50 feet, but it's not guaranteed.

Cat5e has a limit of 100m (a little over 300ft) until you have to put a powered repeater (switch, router, etc) inline the cable again in order to boost the signal up again.

It says 100 meters for copper though, not stranded/twisted wire. That would be true with that type. Like I said, 50 feet works fine, it's just not the "industry standard".

But the strands are copper wire? I thought the stranded/twisted pairs were to reduce interference between the wires? Could be wrong on that one though; was just something I heard somewhere I believe.

Back
Top Bottom