Master/Slave IDE cable trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

StupidRalph

Solid State Member
I am having trouble installing a hard drive in conjunction with a DVD writer. Both are going to be installed in a new barebone cpu unit. I have the Maxtor hard drive set to be the master. And the Samsung Writemaster set to be the slave. However, when I power up the unit I can not get any power onto the DVD writer. But, whenever I unplug the IDE cable out of the DVD writer, it has power. I am referring to the DVD writer having power. I am unsure if the harddrive is receiving power in either instance.

Additional Info:

The barebone unit is manufactured by Shuttle. I have the IDE cable plugged into the blue port on the motherboard.

There is only one IDE cable being used.

The first IDE cable plug is plugged into the Maxtor HDD.

The second IDE cable plug (the one which extends from the first one) is plugged into the Samsung WriteMaster DVD writer.

god ihad that same prblem one time, um.. what was it that fixed that are you sure you have the back of the dvd burner set to slave. it maybe the connection if possible try with another ide cable to see waht happens. Or also try if you have 2 IDE connections plug one in the hdd and the other in the dvd burner so both are master an see what happens this is the same thing that happen to me. good luck ;)

Yeah I am pretty sure that I have the jumpers set correctly. I checked the diagram fifty million times to ensure this was the case. I will try to get my hands on another IDE cable to see what happens.

Hey Dark Sniper I just noticed that ypu pretty much have the same type of set up that I am going thru....I am going to try what you suggested as soon as I get back to where the cpu is being worked on in the morning.

The funny thing is I don't even remember seeing a secondary port for the IDE cable. But then again it was late night. I called my friend where the cpu is located and he informed me that there is a cable that says Optical drive on it.....it resembles and IDE cable but it appears to be a bit smaller in width according to them. I will verify this once I arrive back over.

you should use the seconday channel for the DVD burner for performance reasons, transfer times between the drive and burner will be better. Also, by the way, unless it was a special motherboard, I have not seen a motherboard with less then 2 IDE ports for a decade

If you're using a Shuttle SFF, you really need to spring for a round IDE cable.

Airflow in a SFF ain't the best. You need all the help you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom