Master/slave or CSEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveg48

Solid State Member
What is the prefered method to have two DVD burners? As master and slave or cable select? One might wonder why two burners. Well they are so cheap now days and I have to replace my CD burner and DVD ROM why not.
Thanks

Really doesn't matter. The only advantage to Cable Select is not having to set jumpers. But regular IDE/ATA cables don't support cable select, so most people just don't use it.

Actually, wether you use Master/Slave/Cable Select doesn't matter as long as the drive is recognized in the bios. However the one thing I would strongly recommend is that the drives are on seperate IDE channels. This will provide significant performance increases (specifically for doing disc to disc copies). I typically have one drive as the slave to my HDD on the primary IDE and the other a master on the secondary IDE channel.

on one IDE cable, you can have 2 drives. the first will be the master, the second the slave.

basically, just make sure there is only one master, and one slave on each cable.
you would have your preferred drive as master

Well, that may be a little vauge. On your primary IDE Channel the Primary drive should be the one that is bootable.

And the term preffered above is loosely used, as it does not imply an performance increase or "status boost".

And there truly is no place like 127.0.0.1 :) However if that means IIS 4, then it is never a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom