Male to Male Firewire to USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodzor

Beta member
I found this on eBay:

eBay.co.uk: USB A Male to IEEE 1394 Firewire 4 Pin Male Converter (item 250139223224 end time 07-Jul-07 16:15:00 BST)

For 99p this seems pretty ridiculous..

I only remember seeing one such cable that offered male to male connection between the two standards, but it was in the region of $50.00 and had a large box midway down the cable. The date of the article was 2004, but surely technology hasn't advanced so much as to allow for this?

That plus the fact that I can't find such an item anywhere outside of eBay (Hong Kong at that).

Anyone know much about the technology to be able to say whether or not it could be done at all, (I'm not certain the article that I mentioned was exactly what I'm claiming).

The reason I'm looking into this is because my laptop has no firewire port, and only an Express Card port, not PCMCIA (for which I bought an adapter without checking, doh!).

I've ordered one of these, by the way. I'm curious to see exactly what I end up with (if anything), and it's not a lot to waste if it comes back as two connectors sticking out of a blob of Blue Tak coloured black with a marker.

Thanks for any input.

James

thats exactly what it is. a converter, just hardware (wires) presumably, not the data stuff, because i know their both completely different. i think a transition between the two standards is impossible personally.

usb has 2 data, and 2 voltage, and firewire, even tho it has many different connectors, has a bare minimum of 4 data, so that connector from ebay would probably fry your camera if you connected, because one of the pins on that connector will be sending voltage down a data line.

thats exactly what it is. a converter, just hardware (wires) presumably, not the data stuff, because i know their both completely different. i think a transition between the two standards is impossible personally.

unless you have a controller

but my point is, it takes a large box, its impossible in that small of a package.

Yea, that's what I was thinking.

It's a redundant issue now though anyway, since I found an Express Card Firewire Expansion.

I'll try and open up the adapter when it comes and take some pics, just out of curiosity.

Thanks for the input, guys.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom