Making sure on a harddrive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoWarrior

In Runtime
When I move a icon into a folder, does the data that makes up the icon get relocated on the hard drive or does the information that tracks the data get changed in the file system?

Thanks in advance

the icon of a file is set in its preferences and therefore it doesnt matter if you move it, the picture will stay the same. When you move the file, the file preferences dont change, just the file location. If the icon dir is set to c:\icon it will still be set to that.

NanoWarrior said:
When I move a icon into a folder, does the data that makes up the icon get relocated on the hard drive or does the information that tracks the data get changed in the file system?

Thanks in advance

The icon for a given document or file (say for instance MS Word) is stored in the registry under the HKEY_Classes_Root key. If you have a customized icon you've created, you can change the MS Word icon as long as you know which key to edit.

Changing the icon appearance for a given file or (even a folder for that matter) does not change/contaminate the data contained in the file itself.

i dont think thats wat he was asking about...
--------------------------------------------------------------
from my experience- on NTFS file system, like winXP for example... the file does not get relocated on the HD, it only changes its designation in the file system.

and, im not shur if this is normal... but with my experience with Fat/Fat32, like win98 and below... i dont remember if all the file's did this, or just some.. but wen i moved some large files, i would see the transfer progress bar that shows its actually relocating it on the HD. so im not shur about Fat, but NTFS sertainly doesnt relocate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom