Making a New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlySniper

Solid State Member
Hi,

I might build myself a computer, but I need some help. First of all, how long does it take, how much will it cost, is it that hard?
I want it to be like the computer I got now, but more Me-ish. I have a eMachines Windows XP, Pent. 4, CPU 1.60 Ghz, 512 MB of RAM. On my new machine, I would like a CD/DVD drive on it, and a small moniter, like 15 inch, not plasma or HD or whatever. Also, if someone could point out some good websites like DIY or something to like guide me, cuz, this will be my first "Home made" computer.

Thanks

All-depending on the spec of the computer you are building will depend on "How Long it will take" - "How much it will cost" and "How hard it is".

In my opinion, How long it will take? - It doesn't take that long, like I said it depends what you are putting in it, I enjoy working with computers so it doesn't bother me.
How much will it cost? Again - all depends what you are putting into it, for me a really good computer i would say from scratch = I could make one for say £650-850'ish.
How hard is it? All depends how good you are on building computers :), but I only started with computers about a month back (This is the reason I joined TF ;)) and well I bought a case and not knowing how to change cases so I just guessed and it worked I also hadn't put hardware or anything together and I managed fine without any troubles.

I'am not too sure what websites are good for buying outside of the UK, but most people in here use this site? -

Http://NewEGG.com

Also try PC World Compent Store which is located on PCWorld's website (Http://www.PCWorld.com / co.uk)

I use Ebuyer.co.uk for UK Purchases.

Ok, well, how much is £650-850'ish put into dollars?
Also, what are the things that I definataly need and the things that I could have? I dont want it to be an Alienware type machine, but not a old piece of poop that cant run Word. And got any places where I can buy these things like, half price off or something cheap.

Thanks

850.00 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds = 1,602.01 USD

United States Dollars
1 GBP = 1.88471 USD 1 USD = 0.530585 GBP

This was done off - http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

£850 Works out at - 1,600 Dollors (About), but the TAX and other stupid stuff makes the prices of hardware in the UK expensive.

Check my profile, everything there is essential apart from: A Modded Case, but you need a case ofcouse, Speakers I suppose you can do without - but for the price I wouldnt consider not getting them and also a TFT Montior you don't need a standard CRT Monitor will be fine, I have not included my CD Drive/ DVD Drive and MotherBoard (Mobo) In there, these are essential to your unit especally a Motherboard, also Cooling is a must if you are considering overclocking your machine.

www.NewEgg.com - like I said before, I don't live in the US so I don't know many good sites, but, the people from this fourm seem to use this alot, hope this helps.

SlySniper,

Your eMachine is probably a mini-tower like mine. What model number is yours? Mine is a W2040. If yours is a mini, then it has a microATX board. If you look on the back of your case and it only has four slots, then it is a microATX.

The reason I am asking/telling this, is so you'll have an idea of what size case you want. A mini-tower will only hold a microATX case, whereas a mid-tower or tower will hold a full-sized ATX motherboard, which usually has five to seven PCI slots, plus a graphics slot (AGP or PCI-x). You can get both size mobos with pretty much any features you want or need, as well as for any size processor you want. Main thing is that you need to decide what size you want.

Pick up a copy of Computer Shopper magazine. Check out the ads to get an idea of what components you want/need. And, in the back of each issue, you'll find the Web Buyer section. It lists websites for tech products, direct PC vendors, software vendors, and three or four sidelights of special topics/interests...the Feb issue had sidebars on Apple hardware and software sites, Printer sites, and input devices sites.

And, while it is true that you can spend a fortune on building a system, you don't have to. Spend what you want or need to make it yours.

omg Apm.. ur giving bad advice- you live in england, so everything is different there!! in the US, SlySniper, you will NOT pay $1,600 for an average PC. Thats crazy!! I built mine (see signature) for about $600-$800... you'll be fine for its not hard.

Trotter said:
SlySniper,

Your eMachine is probably a mini-tower like mine. What model number is yours? Mine is a W2040. If yours is a mini, then it has a microATX board. If you look on the back of your case and it only has four slots, then it is a microATX.

The reason I am asking/telling this, is so you'll have an idea of what size case you want. A mini-tower will only hold a microATX case, whereas a mid-tower or tower will hold a full-sized ATX motherboard, which usually has five to seven PCI slots, plus a graphics slot (AGP or PCI-x). You can get both size mobos with pretty much any features you want or need, as well as for any size processor you want. Main thing is that you need to decide what size you want.

Pick up a copy of Computer Shopper magazine. Check out the ads to get an idea of what components you want/need. And, in the back of each issue, you'll find the Web Buyer section. It lists websites for tech products, direct PC vendors, software vendors, and three or four sidelights of special topics/interests...the Feb issue had sidebars on Apple hardware and software sites, Printer sites, and input devices sites.

And, while it is true that you can spend a fortune on building a system, you don't have to. Spend what you want or need to make it yours.

Hey,

I the same model as you. Thanks for the recomendation for the magazine, I'll make sure to pick it up. Thanks again!! :)

Hey, no problem.

The stats for my 'puter are in my signature. As you can see, I have pumped up the memory to 2 sticks of 256MB, added a DVD drive, and tossed in a graphics card. It won't set any records, but it works.

How I'am I giving him bad advice? I think you need to learn to read.

I was giving him a guide-line of what I pay for it, I didn't say he should or shouldnt do this. thats why it is called "advice" he can take my advice or he doesn't, I'am sure I said something about the TAX been ridiculas in england and thats we (I) who live in england have to pay quite a bit to make up what you guys' have to pay - and who says anything about average PC? - try "Very Good PC".

Either way, if you where in england you would understand the point is you dont - so either, you should think before you go jumping into something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom