Make an 'internal' hard-drive 'external'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridwan

Solid State Member
I brought a new maxtor 120gb internal hard-drive for my pc. However, I want to connect it externally through usb/serial either as a master or a slave (I don't mind as I have operating systems installed on my original hard-drive and on this new one so I can run from either).

I am sure that I saw the conversion cables somewhere before but I cannot find anything or anywhere to buy it on the net. It would be great if anyone knew what I was talking about and pointed me to a site where I could find something. Thanks.

(by the way the internal hard-drive that I want to connect externally is a normal desktop hard-drive. A similar pic is below)

maxtor_hdd.jpg

Umm, I'm not sure whether its SATA or IDE, how do I tell & what's the difference?

& it would be better if you could link me to a british site as I'm in the UK (or atleast one that ships here), thanks

They are the interfaces. SATA (Serial ATA) and IDE (Integrated Device Electronics). you can tell simply by looking at the connectors on the hard drives. Is it big long rows of pins (40 I believe) or is it little circuit boards that a cable goes over? It should also say on the drive itself.

My hdd says:

"DiamondMax Plus 9
120GB ATA/ 133 HDD"

Does that mean it's SATA? The connectivity is as follows: there is one small power slot with 4 thick silver pins. For data, there is a long slot with 39 thinner gold coloured pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom