Machine check exception

Status
Not open for further replies.

markb

Beta member
I have this non informative error and have looked to most things someone can look to.
It happens when:
Connecting everything and running an "burn in" test to check if all is fine.
When i just use the computer it might happen in an hour, sometimes immediately and sometimes stay away for a day.

The next steps i have tried to pinpoint the problem:
Took out all hardware except one harddrive with the boot info on, seems to solve it but is NOT an accepted solution.
Switched 3 different memory modules (2x 256mb and 1x 512mb) any used as single module to prevent incompatible issues, did not resolve anything and swapping memory slots isn't the problem either (the computer runs fine with any memory module when all devices are disconnected except harddrive with boot info).
Then next step was trying to pinpoint hardware related erroring, doesn't matter what i connect with either of the heavy devices (another harddrive or dvd rw drive the computer failed again).

My idea was that it is the powersupply but after buying one new one, then a 2nd then a 3rd even more extreme model didn't do anything to increase anything into the stability.

To exclude os / driver errors i have tried many different things, like factory defaulting bios, upgrading bios to latest version, installed everything 5x over using: windows xp 64 bit edition (2x), windows xp home / pro 2x pro and 1x home so i was sure it isn't the os either.

I tried different drivers from the default in box drivers upto the newest ones and using alternate drivers for the videocard aswell.
This all didn't helped and the same issue keeps arrising.
The problem here however being an soft/hardware expert myself i have run out of most options to exactly pinpoint the problem where it lies.

Used many different tools like sisoft sandra lite and various memory/harddrive/optical drive etc testing tools.

Checking out all fine when i do not connect to much on the motherboards internal connectors.

From here on i really start doubting the cause and cant seem to find any clear answer to my exact problem (and really hope this powersupply aint to weak still)

My configuration currently is:

harddrive 1: Maxtor 120gb (6y120l0)
harddrive 2: maxtor 30gb (currently disconnected)
Optical drive: Lite-on dvdrw sohw-1673s
Motherboard: MSI K8N NEO4 platinum
Processor: AMD athlon 64bit 3500+
Memory: 512mb (not sure about its origin)
Video: XFI 6600GT nvidia geforce
Powersupply: enlight gps-450AA-102

Sound, lan and other perhebicles are all used from the onboard sources.

Please anyone who can help me out on this one i would really appreciate as im busy with this for 2 months now and really want to start *using* it sometime instead of it collecting dust :(
Thanks

BTW i looked at other threats aswell and noticed on the machine check exception error that there where only the obvious answers like check ram, spyware/virus etc, please only reply if you can contribute anything new or something i didn't thought off (not the answers like using my optical drive as coffee cub holder or using the FD as cookie muncher, or the desciptions microsoft gives for the machine check exception error).
I ran enough tests and just seem not to be able to pinpoint the exact problem.

I now can add the final smaller test results to it:

Temperature no problem:
motherboard / cpu temperature 39~41 degrees celcius reported by mobo bios screen and several windows applications consistently
Videocard temperature 37~39 degrees celcius reported by several windows applications consistently
So another point i thought was not in the order.
However i now pulled of the cooler and hard disk (30gb) and ran another test for 10 runs to be sure and finally after a lenghty half a day and a full night testing i return to the computer STILL normally in windows.

However odd this was previously it didn't help to pull of the hard disk so i guess the new powersupply does hold up better and the older hard disk just was desterbing it to much (like i allready pinpointed to haveing to many devices on it that it got killed).
Now im just leaving out the old hard disk however i doubt i shall upgrade this computer cause the same problems would possible return then.

This topic can be locked or whatever should happen to it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom