Mac VS PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

Default Mac VS PC

so im sure you guys have seen all those mac commercials.

and sorry if this isnt the correct section.

i wanted to start a conversation on mac benifits vs pc benifits.

and a few questions i have for the mac users.

1) is the hardware as easily interchangable like pc's
2) cost vs pc
3) performance vs pc
4) ease of use vs pc

thanks

Old 01-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Mac VS PC

Hold on let me get my popcorn.

ok it can begin.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 01-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Patron

erm yeah this will be very lopslided as most ppl on here are pc users and this is a debate that has gone on since the dawn of time or win 95 rather.
1) no
2) at point of entry to the market mac isn't that bad normally macbooks are mid price range however after a month they are expensive for what they are
3) They don't update the hardware enough
4) Mac doesn't control enough of the market yet for someone to pick up a mac and just start playing

I believe Mac user environment is a bit more engulfing then the windows system. Linux just never seems to have a complete product.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

No. In fact unless you have extensive knowledge of the inner workings of a Mac you shouldnt even open it.

2) cost vs pc

You pay for the Apple name. You can get the same apple system in PC for for less money.

3) performance vs pc

That all depends. Can get some applicaitons that work better in OS X vs Windows. Such as iTunes. Reason being is that they are created by Apple for Apple. They are just ports over to Windows with no tweaking to make them work properly. Other software like Firefox and Opera have been reported to actually be worse on OS X cause there is no feedback from Apple on how to make it work better.

But if you get Apple software to use on teh Mac then yeah it is great. But again this is all personal preference.

4) ease of use vs pc

Again personal preference. Some who have used Mac for a long time will say it is easier for them to do things on a Mac rather than their PC. But then you get someone who switched from a PC to a Mac and they will say it was easier on Windows.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 01-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

how does mac expect to take the larger share of the market over pc when the hardware is almost set in stone.

are those commercials just aimed @ computer dummies?
hmm maybe i should say computer newbies rather than dummies.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Patron

The majority of the market isn't enthusiasts your are asking the educated few and mac doesn't neccesarily have to be run on an apple bought pc although the hardware has to be similar to a native MAC machine.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213 View Post

No. In fact unless you have extensive knowledge of the inner workings of a Mac you shouldnt even open it.

2) cost vs pc

You pay for the Apple name. You can get the same apple system in PC for for less money.

3) performance vs pc

That all depends. Can get some applicaitons that work better in OS X vs Windows. Such as iTunes. Reason being is that they are created by Apple for Apple. They are just ports over to Windows with no tweaking to make them work properly. Other software like Firefox and Opera have been reported to actually be worse on OS X cause there is no feedback from Apple on how to make it work better.

But if you get Apple software to use on teh Mac then yeah it is great. But again this is all personal preference.

4) ease of use vs pc

Again personal preference. Some who have used Mac for a long time will say it is easier for them to do things on a Mac rather than their PC. But then you get someone who switched from a PC to a Mac and they will say it was easier on Windows.
+ 1...

Also if you compare the price of an 8800GT PCI-e to a Mac Edition.. the Mac edition is severely more priced
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
+ 1...

Also if you compare the price of an 8800GT PCI-e to a Mac Edition.. the Mac edition is severely more priced
ya, i saw that , one of the reasons i wanted to make this thread.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

IMO Mac doesn't want a larger market share, that is what their 'niche' is. They aren't for the big corporations or the masses. That is the whole idea of being mac, so you can be in your own little cult of people at coffee shops with your stark white laptops and your glasses that have plastic frames and aren't even perscription...

Haha seriously though I think they could go larger but choose not to because that is what makes them more marketable... weird concept but I think that is what makes them 'wantable.' (ya i just made that word up).

This thread is going no where but down though...

1)no
2)mac is more expensive component to component vs a PC. Main reason is you are paying for the Mac name, the second reasons is their customer service - which is something that Microsoft could definately learn a thing or two.
3)i don't know
4)IMO mac's are a little more easy to learn right out of the box compared to PC. If you are a notive to expert user of a computer PC is the way to go IMO but if you are completely new to computers Mac is the way to go.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

One thing plus-wise that I can think of is some Macs have this feature that helps you identify where it is if it is stolen. I forgot what it is called. I saw a news story once about this guy stole a Mac laptop, got to where he was going, turned it on. Meanwhile the frantic woman who lost it remembered there was this feature....so she used another computer to connect to the stolen one via this feature that I can't remember the name of. The guy that stole it was standing in front of the Mac. The lady clicked his picture, and the guy was later busted !!! LOL