The Mac G5 kicks *** - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 06:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default The Mac G5 kicks ***

The Mac G5: http://www.apple.com/powermac/ has a CPU that goes over 4 GHZ

it has AGP 8x as a standard and PCI-X

a lot of things came out on Macs before windows, like USB, Firewire, CPU's over 1 GHZ, CD burners, digital cameras and so-on

Old 08-16-2003, 07:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

cause bill gates cant think of his own ****

Old 08-16-2003, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: The Mac G5 kicks ***

Quote:
Originally posted by apokalipse
The Mac G5: http://www.apple.com/powermac/ has a CPU that goes over 4 GHZ

it has AGP 8x as a standard and PCI-X

a lot of things came out on Macs before windows, like USB, Firewire, CPU's over 1 GHZ, CD burners, digital cameras and so-on
well, the powermac G5 doesnt run at a combined 4GHz, but it runs, essetinally, two independent procs each at 2GHz. So, the data can be split and sent to the procs and processed with full speed and then churned out. Super speedy.

And also, to say that Apple came out with everything before PCs is wrong. I am an apple zealot to boot, but Im still going to say that most everything you mentioned came out from PC first or concurrently.

-AGP 8x: been on PCs for months now.
-PCI-X: Apple is actually first in this one, but PCs soon followed suit as the technology was finally accepted.
-USB: A concurent technology. Early USB support was flaky from both windows and apple, but Id have to say that Apple did come out with more solid USB support first.
-Firewire: Apple and Sony actually invented Firewire, so yeah, thats one for Apple.
-1 Ghz+ Computers: Actually, Apple was much slower in breaking the 1 GHz barrier. AMD was actually the first chip maker to break the 1 Ghz barrier with its Athlon Thunderbird chip.
-Cd Burners: Were on PC's first. SCSI add on external drives for mac came, but PC's had the first CD burners.
-Digital Camera: Concurrent; the maturity of the USB spec and the universal acceptence of flash media allowed digital cameras to be used by both apple and windows users.
Old 08-17-2003, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I'm not a big Mac fan. For me, it has it's application, but that application doesn't include my PC. However, I would love to get my hands on a G4 box (the nifty acrylic one) and mod it for a PC. Just gotta buff that D@mn apple off the side.. lol..

Anyway, yeah.. The G5 is fast, but my biggest problem with owning one is the lack of supported hardware (although that's getting better) and the serious lack of software titles.. frick.. Even AOL hasn't released a Mac compatable version in 3+ years..

Alexander
1 Gig Corsair XMS low latency pc3200
2x 80g Maxtor SATA (w/ Raid 0)
128Mb Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
480w Thermaltake PSU
Video Capture Card (titantv.com ROCKS!)
16 Sony DVD Rom
52x/32x/52x Optorite CDRW
Old 08-17-2003, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
I'm not a big Mac fan. For me, it has it's application, but that application doesn't include my PC. However, I would love to get my hands on a G4 box (the nifty acrylic one) and mod it for a PC. Just gotta buff that D@mn apple off the side.. lol..

Anyway, yeah.. The G5 is fast, but my biggest problem with owning one is the lack of supported hardware (although that's getting better) and the serious lack of software titles.. frick.. Even AOL hasn't released a Mac compatable version in 3+ years..

Alexander
Ever heard of the Rotten Apple? Theres your Apple PC, right there.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

well bloody hell, you'd get really good performance on half-life, especially if you've got cable

just a thought: do you think Bill Gates has his own "Windows BG (Bill Gates edition)"
Old 08-18-2003, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i was readin this article about the G5 and how the whole computer is **** and its allowance of up to 8 gig of ram was all ****

they said that they tested it against a P4, but they riged it by choosing settings that the P4 would handle at only half its performance rate and allowed the G5 to out perform the P4

personally i would never buy an apple but alexanders idea of getting one of the cases coz they look pretty sweet
Old 08-18-2003, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by drummeronfire
i was readin this article about the G5 and how the whole computer is **** and its allowance of up to 8 gig of ram was all ****

they said that they tested it against a P4, but they riged it by choosing settings that the P4 would handle at only half its performance rate and allowed the G5 to out perform the P4

personally i would never buy an apple but alexanders idea of getting one of the cases coz they look pretty sweet
Well, I wouldnt exactly call it rigged- more like "agressive optimizations". Apple used the SPEC benchmark for its G5 to pit it against the biggest and most badass of the PC world. They chose SPEC because it can go cross platform and because it measures both Floating Point and Integer calculation speeds. Anyways, SPEC results are based off of a compiler (each chip has one). Apple used an optimized compiler, while leaving the Intel chips to run with unoptimizied complier code. While not seeming fair, it is perfectly legal and should not discourage you from buying a G5 should you want one. This is a slightly watered down version of exactly what graphics card companies have been doing for years. optimizing thier hardware to run things like the popular 3DMark benchmark, faster, but unfortunately, without any real world gaming gains outside of the benchmark.

Hopefully the optimizations in the G5 tests prove insignificant, but only independent testing by 3rd party (as in non Apple and non PC afilliated- AKA an unbiased benchmarking ) can tell us the whole story.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

look at my poll: http://www.tech-heaven.com/forum/sho...1813#post31813 - most people prefer the MAC OS, appart from the lack of programs, but in a way that's a good thing
Old 08-19-2003, 04:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

your poll doesn't necessarily mean that most prefer MAC OS...i voted that MACs are more stable than pc...but i still prefer my windows pc.

Closed Thread