LPT Port Not Detected - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default LPT Port Not Detected

hey i've had my Asus K8N-E Deluxe motherboard for about 4 months now. just a few days ago, i got a printer that uses an LPT port instead of a USB. for some reason though, my computer doesn't realize that it has an LPT port. the computer is unable to find the printer. i've installed the print drivers and told it to print to the LPT port yet nothing happens. it cannot contact the printer at all whatsoever. i checked the device manager and it just shows 2 seriel ports and no LPT ports. i've installed all the motherboard drivers and the BIOS is up to date so the port should work but it won't. i tryed installing a generic LPT port with the add new hardware wizard (i have windows xp btw) but i got confused when it asked me for a bunch of advanced information. does anyone know how i might go about getting the LPT port to work?

Old 05-23-2005, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

bump

Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

bump
Old 05-24-2005, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

bump
Old 05-24-2005, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to xenosoul

I still have a printer that uses an LPT port.. The thing about that is that windows automaticly finds it after I turn the printer on. I know there are some settings in the CMOS that might help (or bios as most people put it). Also it could be a bad printer cable. I have run into a couple of bad cables in the span of 4 years.

Also try testing it on a friends computer to see if it works.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

I would help you more, but stop bumping like that

Make sure your printer port is enabled in USB, and you have enough free IRQ's
Old 05-25-2005, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

what's an IRQ? also, what do you mean "printer port is enabled in USB?" it's an LPT printer. my computer can't even find the LPT Port!!!!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

i'm gonna keep bumping until i get some help. how the heck do i know if i have enough irq's?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

not to sound discouraging, but I am pretty sure ur "keep bumping till I get help" attitude won't get u no where in this forum.

what I would suggest is look in ur BIOS and see is there any thing related to LPT port and change it to give it a try.

IRQ stands for Interrupt Request, which is like a channel for the system to communicate with the device u installed (your printer in this case), if two devices use the same IRQ, then there will be a conflict and the devices won't work.

Usually the OS will assign a complete new IRQ to any new device, but there is always a chance that didn't happen and u have to assign it by yourself.

Closed Thread