Lose AGP power with 939?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGURU

Fully Optimized
If I make the upgrade...would I lose the power of my 6800 GT (AGP)? Or any power?

From what I see, most 939 boards like PCI-ex more...

I don't even understand what you're saying......PCI-E is the next step in graphics interface.......it's replacing AGP....there are socket 939 AGP boards, those are Nforce3 chipsets and PCI-E is nforce4.........You don't 'lose power' by upgrading to a better CPU and system....then it wouldn't be called 'upgrading'

Nubius said:
I don't even understand what you're saying......PCI-E is the next step in graphics interface.......it's replacing AGP....there are socket 939 AGP boards, those are Nforce3 chipsets and PCI-E is nforce4.........You don't 'lose power' by upgrading to a better CPU and system....then it wouldn't be called 'upgrading'

When using elipses, use 3 dots.

Anyways, I am not going to fork over more money for PCI-e, I just asked a simple question and you answered it, thanks.

majistic said:
That was sort of a stupid question.

That was sort of a stupid answer.

I was just wondering if 939 was optimized for PCI-e or if performance is better on 939's with a PCI-e.

Currently no card even utilizes PCI-E so a 6800GT PCI-E and 6800GT AGP are basically the same.......as I've come to find out however....the Nf3 chipset (for AGP cards) seems to be a little lacking in stability for cards....meaning my 430/1150 6800GT OC worked fine on my XP-M system but since going AMD64, it seems my limit is around 420/1125.....any more than that and it'll cause 3dmark03 to freeze during a test for a few seconds.....this is all thanks to the chipset although I'm still trying a few things to see if I can get past this, or atleast get closer to my original overclock.

However, even with a lower overclock, going to an AMD64 system that is 600MHz slower in terms of clock speed + the card being not OC'd as high still yields 300points more in 3dmark03 than before....that tells you right there your card runs better on the AMD64s

Nubius said:
Currently no card even utilizes PCI-E so a 6800GT PCI-E and 6800GT AGP are basically the same.......as I've come to find out however....the Nf3 chipset (for AGP cards) seems to be a little lacking in stability for cards....meaning my 430/1150 6800GT OC worked fine on my XP-M system but since going AMD64, it seems my limit is around 420/1125.....any more than that and it'll cause 3dmark03 to freeze during a test for a few seconds.....this is all thanks to the chipset although I'm still trying a few things to see if I can get past this, or atleast get closer to my original overclock.

However, even with a lower overclock, going to an AMD64 system that is 600MHz slower in terms of clock speed + the card being not OC'd as high still yields 300points more in 3dmark03 than before....that tells you right there your card runs better on the AMD64s

Ok, great info thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom