looking to upgrade my xp processer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Sniper*

Fully Optimized
im running xp-2700 and i would like to upgrade it can you guys tell me a good xp processer for gaming under the xp cpu's and whatever esle you think would help this upgrade for the cpu.

and i forgot can you suggest a good mobo to go with it and a new case im using my friends old one thanks.

well im not sure to tell you the truth i mean this is for gaming so. and school work, just tell me what you think would be good to use.

Here are a couple of options, you can add or subtract if you don't want to spend that much money. All prices shown include shipping.

Upgrade to the current AMD Athlon XP System:

CPU- AMD Athlon XP 3200+...$138.90
Motherboard- Biostar M7NCD Pro...$53.98
Video Card- eVGA GeForce 6600GT AGP...$184.99
RAM- Corsair 1 GB (2x512MB) DDR PC3200...$89.90

Grand total...$467.77

The motherboard above allows you to run the two sticks of RAM in dual channel. I recommend new RAM because your current sticks are PC2700, which will slow down the Athlon XP 3200+ processor. The setup listed above is very good for a budget and your games would run beautifully, especially with the new video card.

If you would like to, it might be possible to switch to an AMD Athlon 64 system for not much more, and it would be upgradeable in the future. See below:

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 3000+...$146
Motherboard- MSI K8N Neo4-F...$90.98
Video Card- eVGA GeForce 6600GT PCI-E...$179
RAM- Corsair 1 GB (2x512MB) DDR PC3200...$89.90

Grand total...$505.88

The second system would be very fast in all aspects of computing and would run games amazingly well. What are you thinking about doing as far as the upgrades go?

If you getting a new motherboard as well then go with 64 bit. 64 bit windows will be coming out soon and you will want to have 64 bit.

thanks know that you your talking about 64 i dont know the benfits of it can you tell me about maybe and the proceeser types.

If you plan on buying a new CPU, motherboard and memory, especially if you plan on gaming, an AMD 64 is far better choice than an Athlon XP unless you're tight on cash.

We're right on the edge of AMD releasing yet another core, the Venice Core, a 90nm process which uses strained silicon and an enhanced memory controller, as well as support for SSE3. It makes overclocking with a Winchester look like a joke from what I understand.

Consider it. ;)

Benefits of Athlon 64s include built in memory controllers, Hypertransport Technlogy for faster memory/CPU bandwidth, 64 bit and 32 bit processing capabilities, and overall better architechture than the Athlon XP.

Well it will support 64 bit windows, 64 bit games and programs. That is one benefit.
I would get a 3000+ or a 3200+ depending on your budget. Also make sure it is a winchester core as those are the new cores that run cooler and with less power than the previous cores.
Athlon 64s are good for gaming and are really powerful processors.

I would go with either this:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-501&depa=1

Or this is a little bit better:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-502&depa=1

gaara said:
If you plan on buying a new CPU, motherboard and memory, especially if you plan on gaming, an AMD 64 is far better choice than an Athlon XP unless you're tight on cash.

We're right on the edge of AMD releasing yet another core, the Venice Core, a 90nm process which uses strained silicon and an enhanced memory controller, as well as support for SSE3. It makes overclocking with a Winchester look like a joke from what I understand.

Consider it. ;)

Benefits of Athlon 64s include built in memory controllers, Hypertransport Technlogy for faster memory/CPU bandwidth, 64 bit and 32 bit processing capabilities, and overall better architechture than the Athlon XP.

this core your talking about is going to be the best so far so should i just wait and save up my money to get this and stuff or what and if you dont mind me asking this can you tell me where i can read up on this new 64 stuff. if you dont mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom