Looking for a Printer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Idealist Gamer

Default Looking for a Printer

So can anyone help me with a cheap printer that has reliable software? My current printer is almost fine but the software is insane. Its just really bad all around. Multiple problems. I've tried reinstalling and pretty much anything that can be done.

I don't have a lot of money to spend and I don't need anything more than a regular printer. I looked on Newegg but according to the reviews all of the printers are apparently extremely terrible. I don't believe that mind you but I can't tell which are good and which are bad.

On a scale from 1 to 10 with 1 being cost effective and 10 being better quality; I'm looking for somewhere around a 3 or 4. I'd appreciate any help I could get with this.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: Looking for a Printer

Okay you give no info to help us along.

Price Range? OS? Do you want a All-in-one or just a Printer?

They have the Kodak printers out there now that have Ink for $10 and $15 dollars. Would that work? The printer itself is upward of $100 but the ink is cheaper.

There is Epson which i have used. Great Printer. Lexmark. All the printers have software that works great on XP. But Lack everything on Vista.

So get us some more info and we will help you out.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

canon?
I have a canon i850...doesn't use any extraneous bloated software like an HP or perhaps a dell, not sure what lexmark would install

my canon is a few years old so I'm not sure what the updated replacement model, if any, would be for this...was pretty affordable at the time for the quality...
Old 05-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Idealist Gamer

I don't know how much a printer really costs.... the prices range a lot.

If you could give me some good examples I'd appreciate it.

How often do people usually buy ink anyway? Is it worth it in the long run to get the one with cheaper ink? Or rather how long exactly would it take?

I have XP so lexmark sounds fine. I just want a recommendation so I know that I'm probably not going to have any problems with it. Like I said all the printers have a lot of bad reviews on newegg so its hard to go by really. I'll look into exactly how much I can spend but if you could give me some good examples of how much a printer would cost I'd appreciate it.

I rarely use my printer and so even more rarely buy ink. Also if possible I'd like a somewhat small one. Well one less than 10 inches wide if possible.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Well each printer uses a different amount of ink per usage. With my Lexmark and Epson i could get about 30 full color pics done before i had to buy more ink. If it was even that much. As far as Documents you should get roughly 50 or more of them printed.

I would seriously look into a Kodak Printer. That way if the ink goes you can get it cheap rather than spent $50 on a printer and then $50 everytime you want ink.

I am currently looking into a Kodak myself. I know someone who works there and has 2 of them already and they are great printers. For both pics and docs.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

This printer has good specs for its price. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but it looks like a good deal.

Newegg.com - LEXMARK X2500 21A0500 22 ppm Up to 4800 x 1200 dpi InkJet MFC / All-In-One Color Printer - Printers

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 05-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing

Send a message via MSN to Nick

HP Photosmart C7280 it owns!
Old 05-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It's usually the ink that ends up destroying the bargain printers. Are you planning of refilling the cartridges yourself? Or will you buy new cartridges everytime?

And guys, if you guys can give him suggestions about the ink also, that would be great.

The inkjet printers I have are out of production - but have dirt cheap cartridges at 2.50-3.00 each. I also have a color laser - which is somewhat expensive. Not really relevant to you considering you are looking for a budget printer.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I did give suggestions about the ink. My Kodak suggestion.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Yea Kodak printers are the most economical ink to print wise. Lexmark inks are expensive but easy to find.

Thing is if you are planning on getting a 3rd party ink don't use the ink that comes with the printer, OEM (offical) inks an cheep 3rd party inks tend not to mix right from what I have seen.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Closed Thread