Looking for a nice flash drive to do encrypted back-ups on it? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Geek Squad

Default Re: Looking for a nice flash drive to do encrypted back-ups on it?

You cannot take out a factor of the death of a hard drive (being dropped) of the equation and then compare the two.

You must consider every way a drive is going to be used then determine its viability.

You are the one coming up with the argument that movable drives which wear down are better than a solid state drive.

I will agree that after 300,000 - 1,000,000 bit writes they will become less reliable and corrupt more, but that depends on how often the backups are made.

Unless you can show me something more conclusive (which I have indeed googled and I have worked with computers for well over 10 years, 3 of which professionally), I will never agree that a movable drive which have moving components that can fail is more reliable than a solid state drive which does not have any moving parts.

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Looking for a nice flash drive to do encrypted back-ups on it?

Thing is, stuff like dropping a hard drive can be avoided by just being careful. Heck, even then I've dropped my drives a **** load and they're still working fine. Hard drives aren't frail, and these days have protection built in for the very purpose of protecting a drive from falls. In fact, the reason most drives fail after being dropped is because they were in use while that happened (e.g. suddenly disconnected during a write session). Flash drives suffer from the same problem just as much, if not more so.

Quote:
You are the one coming up with the argument that movable drives which wear down are better than a solid state drive.
I didn't say 'better', I said 'more reliable'. Are you honestly saying that you think an SSD (whether that be a flash drive, actual SSD, whatever) is more reliable than a standard 7200rpm mechanical hard drive?

Quote:
I will never agree that a movable drive which have moving components that can fail is more reliable than a solid state drive which does not have any moving parts.
Your entire argument seems to be based off the fact that a HDD has moving parts while an SSD doesn't. I KNOW a good hard drive (e.g. WD Black) is going to last me years, even under heavy usage. I cannot say the same for an SSD and neither can anyone else at the moment because SSDs are a relatively new technology, at least where consumer products are concerned; hard drives have had years and years to be improved. So what am I going to trust my backup to? Seems like a pretty simple choice to me.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread