Looking for a Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickness

In Runtime
I'm in the process of building a system for myself, to be used mainly for gaming, and of course some web surfing and word processing. I'm looking into the AMD64 3200+ and hope to OC it to 2.5+ GHz. Anyway, I'm looking for a motherboard that supports SATA and DDR2 memory. I'm not sure if I want AGP or PCIE, don't know the pros and cons of either really. No SLI, I don't have the cash for dual 6800 Ultras. Umm, I'm prolly looking at around 1 gig of ram, so that shouldn't be a factor seeing most motherboards support 4+ gigs. Oh, also another small thing is I would like it to have a firewire port on the back, along with some decent onboard audio and eithernet. I noticed a lot of motherboards come with only 2 or 3 PCI slots, and I don't want to use them up on eithernet cards and sound cards. Thanks much.

sickness said:
How long until that comes out?

If I'm not mistaken, it comes out early next year. Someone else should have a definite answer though.

If you are using a 3200, there is absolutely no reason for you need DDR2. DDR2 really only starts to shine (because of its high speeds) when you connect it to a CPU that has a really high clock speed. Even overclocking your CPU to 2.5GHz, wont require DDR2.

It is a good idea, however, to get good overclocking RAM, because it will be difficult to get a good overclock without it.

Because you are overclocking, look for a DFI Lanparty motherboard, with the NForce4 chipset. They are undisputably the best OCing motherboards for skt 939.

As for AGP vs PCIE, there isnt a whole lot of difference in performance, now. But, you might as well get a mobo that has PCIE, just for the greater expandibility into new vid cards.

yea ull be waiting for a quite a while and spending a ton of money just go intel64bit edition.

for gaming, don't go Intel.
you don't need DDR2, there are brands, especially G.Skill, that make RAM which can run at really high speeds.

G.Skill makes RAM (with Samsung TCCD's) that is guaranteed to run at at least DDR600
coupled with a 3200+ Venice (which should overclock to at least 2.5GHZ), and a DFI NF4 Ultra-D, you'll be flying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom