Looking to the future......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Merlin

Daemon Poster
Okie dokie then, well my tired old 3ghz P4 is getting old and I want to upgrade it:)

Now the problem is that I am only gonna upgrade the Mobo, CPU and maybe add another gig of RAM(might aswell go case and PSU while I'm at it ;) ).

I wanted to get a LGA775 3.6ghz, but the problem is that I can't seem to find anything sporty with AGP 8x and DDR DIMM's. I could go 915P, which allows me the option of DDR and DDR2, but I still am screwed with the AGP 8x:( So unless there is something I dunno, I either have to wait atleast a year, just upgrade to a 3.4ghz or go AMD....... The other problem with the Intel front is that if I bought more DDR, its gonna be a waste because I would have to go DDR2 soon:confused:

The AMD CPU's look very interesting, I would go for a 3500+ Winchester, I would get probably a Nforce 4, add another gig of RAM then aswell. While this is a very safe and easy, I don't like switching brands, especially if their is a chance that I could go back to Intel, I don't like the variety of 3rd party chipsets that come with an AMD and EVERYONE has an Athlon 64 system it seems:p

Lemme know what you guys think, I am sure the majority will say just go AMD, but hopefully someone will understand what I am thinking and be insightful:p Please no fanboy BS, Intel or AMD. I pretty much wanna overhaul my whole system......case, PSU, CPU, motherboard, maybe DDR and hard drive:)

How much memory do you currently have? Anything over 1024MB is unneccesary and you won't notice any performace difference at all.

I would honestly say that if AGP is your hearts desire, AMD has a better selection of Athlon 64 boards that support AGP than Intel based boards, but it comes down to what you want your PC to accomplish.

If gaming is your priority I will no doubt recommend that AMD is the best way to go, but the Extreme Edition Pentiums still hold a larger advantage over them in my opinion due to such a large cache.

Don't upgrade yet. Wait until April when the 64-Bit Pentium 4 6xx and the Dual Core 64-Bit 8xx cpus are released. I would recommend you get 64-Bit 820 Dual Core for $241 on the LGA775 platform. As far as AGP and DDR go, you have to w/o them and go PCIe and DDR2 on the Intel front.

Megadeth2 said:
Don't upgrade yet. Wait until April when the 64-Bit Pentium 4 6xx and the Dual Core 64-Bit 8xx cpus are released. I would recommend you get 64-Bit 820 Dual Core for $241 on the LGA775 platform. As far as AGP and DDR go, you have to w/o them and go PCIe and DDR2 on the Intel front.

That may be the best advice yet..... I wasn't considering the dual cores right now because I imagined they would be too expensive at launch:confused: The problem there is that I just bought this X800 XT, so that would completely stop an immediate switch, because I ain't gonna throw out that card:p :D

Sweet a X800 XT, how does it handle itself? I have read alot of reviews, but they always have a Intel 3.4 extreme or a AMD64 3800.

Im not gonna get the 6800 GT anymore. Im down to the final parts to complete my computer. All i need is a Monitor/Video Card/RAM. Then im finally finished after ordering my parts since september. For the fact that i cant offered everything all at once. I could of got a cheaper system, like a 3200 with a 6600, but i have patients. Its been hard, but its starting to pay off.

So now im into the X800 XT. Personally, i know 256bit video cards arent going anywhere anytime soon. So i want to just bit the bullet and get a good card that will last for a few years.

lol yeah 3.0GHz is soooo outdated!! (Erm..)

I would wait another few months at least! Think about how expensive the top end intels are at the moment. The new 1s will be more expensive because of being just released, but its a new technology which will boot that price even higher! Then you need the software upgrades and compatible hardware to take advantage of it all... wait greedy guts :) lol

The X800 XT is great, I can play everything at 1600x1200 flawlessly:) :)

I suppose that I shall wait and just upgrade my hard drive and save up my money to buy a nice dual core at the end of the year or so(selling my X800 XT for a PCI-E card, hehehehe, that damn card is the crutch of this upgrade:D :p ):( :) :D

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom