Looking for COM1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman

Beta member
Fellas,

I have a question for all you HW experts out there.

In order to access the internet from a software emulator that I am using for work, I need to redirect data sent to COM1 to a virtual COMx.

The problem that I am having is that I couldn't find COM1 under the Device Manager. How could resurrect COM1? Will a new PCI serial card fix this problem? The emulator only talks to COM1.

Thanks in advance for your help.

bman

bman said:
Fellas,

I have a question for all you HW experts out there.

In order to access the internet from a software emulator that I am using for work, I need to redirect data sent to COM1 to a virtual COMx.

The problem that I am having is that I couldn't find COM1 under the Device Manager. How could resurrect COM1? Will a new PCI serial card fix this problem? The emulator only talks to COM1.

Thanks in advance for your help.

bman

COM(port) 1 and 2 are where 56k modems are detected.Do you have one installed in the mbd ?

my pc came with modem and lan cards. what's funny is that under the device manager, no serial ports can be found.

Modem or not modem

bman said:
could it be that my modem went south on me?

That is the ?
A COM port and a serial port are two differrent things.
If you know enough about this "modem" than try "Add New Hardware" autodetect or tell it what it is.

Or very simply your Serial ports could be turned OFF in the BIOS.

IF you know what kind of modem it has and/or you have the disks that came with the modem, yank the modem out....enable the serial ports in the BIOS and you'll be in business. You can always re-install the modem later if you need it.
-Target

if it doesn't detect the modem maybe it isn't pushed in properly.
serial ports are usually used for printers and such, does your mobo have any? and do you need it/them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom