Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   Monitors, Printers and Peripherals (http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/)
-   -   LONG lockups while playing games on 6800Ultra (http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/long-lockups-while-playing-games-6800ultra-38750/)

Person 02-03-2005 05:47 AM

LONG lockups while playing games on 6800Ultra

Hello!
For some reason everytime I play a game I encounter frequent lockups which last for at least 8-10 seconds. They happen frequently. My setup is in my sig so you can see what I have and could be contributing. I tried to latest driver release and also the current beta drviers. Both have the same issue. I also went through 3 power supplies (on a side not my bad luck worked and somehow the one that was supposed to be the weakest PSU pushed the most on the 12v rail :p ). The temperatures on the card are also not high. I really do not know what to do. I really finally want to start using this computer for gaming. I didn't pay $1900 to surf the internet (could have used the crap I got in my basement for that)....
Thanks for any help.

SHAWN 02-03-2005 10:30 AM

what do you have running in the backround while playing these games

ShoobieRat 02-03-2005 10:48 AM

Are you playing these games online? Or single-player offline?

RangerXero 02-03-2005 10:55 AM

What game are you talking about ? and have you updated the nforce drivers? goto nvidia.com and compare the version of nforce drives with the ones you have and see if they need updateing . I know nvidia did some performance increases for the nforce 3 chipsets.

Person 02-03-2005 01:27 PM

I got nothing running in the background (except the bare minimum). One of the reason I built this new computer is that I wouldn't have to take care of all the crap my family bombed my old comp with (stupid programs and such that eat resources) :D.
I'm playing Everquest2 and UT2004. I know everquest 2 has problems with the Geforce 6 line right now but my problem is not like everyone's that experiences stutter. I don't really play any offline games right now but 3d Mark 2003 has the same problem so I don't think it is anything network related.
I'll go update the nForce drivers now, didn't think of that :).

Keaton 02-03-2005 01:58 PM

A 6800 is a lot of money, you would definately want nothing but the best from your pc after paying for one!

Trifid 02-03-2005 03:13 PM

Have you got your chipset drivers? as when I didnt have the up to date ones, it caused a jumping frame rate.

Person 02-03-2005 06:36 PM

Unfortunately I had to submit an RMA. I tried everything I could think of. I called the eVGA tech support and the guy told me to submit an RMA. Stupid shipping shipping charges...

Trotter 02-03-2005 06:39 PM

While you are waiting, update all of your drivers (BIOS, motherboard, monitor...everything).

Best to cover all of the bases...

And watch your language.

Person 02-03-2005 06:55 PM

I'm sorry about my language but I've had so many problems already that having to wait much more is simply not an option :). I was never good with patience...
Those problems have cost me about $80 in additional shipping charges already.