Which are locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as i know ..most of the new ones form the 2500 on are not locked any longer

They are all overclockable

I believe that amd has begun to lock the muti's on the chip now. If you wnat a good unlocked chip, go with the mobile amd 2500+. It is unlock and it runs cooler than the desktop one does. I have it and it is running @ 225/11.5 right now. Temp is stayin around 43-48c. Good luck.

From what I understand, AMD is now locking all proc except the FX series:confused:

If you buy one now though, it may have been produced before they started locking them though:confused:

Why do they lock them? it just makes people buy processors in smaller periods of time since it wares out faster.

MicroBell said:
The reason stated by AMD for this move was because some suppliers were overclocking the chip..and selling it for the higher clock speed.

If you think about it...if you can buy a cheap XP 2800+...and push it to 3.0ghz...would you buy AMD's 3.0gzh chipset? Most likely...not..hence AMD now loses money because no one is buying the chip.

Good point there microbell:)

Nearly all bartons or thortons core from week 40 of 2003 or later are locked. You can still find a couple unlocked specimens after week 40, but they're rare....

I wouldn't take too long b4 some tweakers know how t break through this new security. But i still wonder how supplier get away with oc'ing the proc b4 selling. Even in assembled state you can use programs to find a cpu's original speed.

Guess the avergage person is really gettign screwed around....

bad move david =( i used hate watching murder she wrote when i was younger, because my mom always watched that, but now i hate you =) hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom