Lock ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luxar

Baseband Member
Hey,

I recently built my own computer, and for the most part things have been working fine. However, whenever I play what appear to be graphically-intense games(ie. not Windows pinball), the computer either

a) locks up and remains on with the screen frozen and strange repeating noises coming from the speakers

or

b)simply restarts

This has happened within minutes of opening a game(main games this happens in is Half Life 2 and Call of Duty) as well as sometimes let me play for over an hour before occurring.

Here's some of my hardware:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum mobo
AMD 64 4000+
Leadtek Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI-E graphics
Audigy 2 ZS sound
OCZ Platinum rev. 2 1 gig memory

I've been playing the games on high settings, and I've tried lowering the settings down and it still seems to happen.

I believe I have good cooling for my system; a well-ventilated case with 4 high-quality fans(2 120mm, 2 90mm), a Zalman heatsink on my processor and a stock leadtek heatsink on the graphics card. MSI's Core Center reports my CPU temp as 40c and my system temp as 38c. GPU's temp is 63c. This is all just right now, I haven't had an opportunity to check temps under gaming load.

Hopefully I've given you enough information here to help me with my problem. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Luxar

This is normall called "device stuck in infinite loop"

Usually this is caused by a hardware error in the graphics card, or a driver issue

ok, thanks for the info. I've gone ahead and reseated the graphics card. Now it doesn't seem to make any noises, it just completely locks up the computer from time to time. I have the latest drivers(77.72 or something like that). What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom