A little help would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear you think im a joke.

Maybe this place wasnt the place to ask for help, I just wondered because my friend suggested this place for advice.

Anyway if this is spyware, is there anything I can do about it? Will Mwav help?

Also im using a friends email address for this account. When I get my pc running where do i get one of my own?

Im a bit worried about being taken for a ride reguarding my pc purchase. I was advised that intel were a well performing company.

If it really is that bad what do you suggest to replace it? I dont want to spend much more money where I can help it.

Thank you all, even the ones who laugh.

I bet i sound a bit new, but we were all new once wernt we not?

No worries man... Just that when u said u ran Half Life 2 on your computer, it just raised some eyebrows :). If your grandson knows about the existence of HL2, he should also know of the requirements to run it! That's why I was wondering if u were playing a joke on us. Didn't mean to offend if u really are an old grandpa.. :)

Anyway if this is spyware, is there anything I can do about it? Will Mwav help?
You can download anti spyware programs and anti virus programs and run it. But, if u are someone inexpereinced at this, perhaps, doing a clean format and reinstall might be easier. Then just ensure that u don't download anything except from trusted websites. Even if there are messages saying "download this".

Also im using a friends email address for this account. When I get my pc running where do i get one of my own?

yahoo.com, hotmail.com - and can sign up for a new account. Your internet provider will also give you free accounts when you sign up.

Im a bit worried about being taken for a ride reguarding my pc purchase. I was advised that intel were a well performing company.

Intel is a great company. So is AMD. These are the leaders of making CPUs for home computers. Just that your CPU is VERY old.. It's like buying a old Honda 1987 model for the price of a 1999 model. It used to be a good CPU - not anymore. Your other components are also ancient. Like the vid card.

If it really is that bad what do you suggest to replace it? I dont want to spend much more money where I can help it.
I don't know the conversation rate of british pounds. But it's higher than USD. WIth 250 pounds u should be able to get a new computer. So you'll end up paying more money. You'll probably be able to get maybe 20 pounds for the system you have.

Thank you very much I will look into all the options you have told me about. Like I have probably mentioned I am incredibly new and not really sure what anything is but ive gathered I made a bad buy and that spyware isnt a good thing.

Do any of you know what I should be looking for? I talked to my grandson and yes he does want to run halflife though he informs me he didnt manage to egt much further than installation, so obviously I need to get some better gear, a pentium 2 perhaps?

Anyway, I thank you for your advice, and bid you all a good day.

Keep that PC for another ten years, and you'll be a millionaire! It's going to be an antique!

Definitely atleast a Pentium 4 man :).. Or alternatively, as many people on this forum would tell u, an AMD would be even better for computer games. But since I am sure u don't know how to build a system and don't want to spent too much money, u can go down to ur local computer store, get the parts and have them build it for u.

If u are on the small budget side, why don't u try a AMD 3000+, with a 9800 pro, and 512 mb of RAM? Should be relatively cheap if u buy components that are not good for overclocking. Which u prolly won't do.

A 6600 GT is recommended over a 9800 pro if u have the money (better bang for the buck). But, u'll save a few bucks with the latter. And u can play HL2 with a 9800 pro for sure. I know my friend does. Plays well.

Is their any way you can get your money back?

You can get a pc like 100x faster than that one, for the same amount of money that 75mhz cost you, you can pretty easily get a 2800mhz one :(

Okay, just 37.3333 X faster

i'm surprized that HL2 even INSTALLED on that thing! infact, i doubt it did. your hard drive is no where near big enough for it. with a 75MHz computer, your looking at a 500MB hard disk at most. you really need to buy a new computer, ESPECIALLY if someone plans to run non-DOS games on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom