Lite-On CD-RW 16x10x24 Does Not Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Solid State Member
A few days ago my pc crashed, since then my CD Drive has failed to operate in any way, it doesnt respond to pressing the eject button, PC does not pick it up etc. another thing i notice is that the LED constantly stays on, and when the PC crashed a CD was in there, which i have since taken out using the emergency eject. I do not know my model number, just the make and speed of my drive (Lite On CD-RW 16x10x40).

Here are my other PC Specs:

Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon XP+ 2700
60 GB 7200rpm HDD
gf4 ti4200

I did use this cd drive on an older system using windows 98 SE and had no problems for 2 years, i have had other problems with the drive like the drive refusing to read discs which have been sorted.

I have downloaded new software from lite-on for my cd drive but because my pc does not pick up the drive i cannot install the new software. The only thing I can maybe think of as being a problem is that the computer is situated in approximately 2.5m x 1.5m cupboard and there is a bit of dust in here, though the CPU doesnt heat up (always hovers around 55c)

Any help is welcome

owned...

at the place where i work, there was never a lite-on cd burner returned for warrenty, you fuxed it up =p

probably shortend the cdrom or somethin, shrug

anyways, MSI is the worst cd burner maker out there!

you could also try know good lead from the powersupply and boot up to the bios. and try to open it up. if you cant open the drive in the bios on a known good power connector than the drive is bad!

There were a few things i forgot to mention:

Since my CD drive has stopped working on startup when it does the checks, it stops at "Secondary Master" or something like that and i press escape to skip it, i assume it searches for the cd drive but it is not there.

My PC is situated in approimately a 1.5m x 2.5m cupboard, it gets quite dusty in here sometimes so i think that might be a problem???

Also I cannot enter the bios, whenever i press delete on startup to enter the bios my PC locks up :mad:

My Dad will probably check the connectors inside and swap over with the other PC we have this evening as he probably does not trust me.

Also if any of the above have explained the problem please let me know

Cheers

Shane

I am going to agree with MicroBell to a point. Take the thing out, make sure everything is good, then reinstall it, making sure all your connections are safe and sound. You might try a different power connection from the power supply. Usually, there are multiple connectors on the same daisy chain and a few should be unused. (mark the one that is currently hooked up to your burner so you know which it is)

Also, I believe my CD-ROM and CD burner are set up on a master-slave configuration as opposed to a master and secondary master, like it sounds as if yours is. This may or may not matter. It should just be difference of the jumper position on either drive. (my burner is the master) You might take a look at that when you go to reinstall it.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! The cables were bust so we just swapped them over and now it is running smoothly :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom