Liquid Metal Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23331

Yeah I believe this to be complete BS, 12C is below ambient temps on most houses....don't know about you, but I don't keep my house at a cool 53F....that's a good 30C below the ambient temp....what would that translate into.....hmm well for starters, defying all known laws of physics...not to mention condensation forms on anything below ambient temps.

I first looked at this title and thought, "liquid metal? sounds more like a heating system than a cooling system"
I forgot about mercury though, but it looks promising

First, this isn't really possible, I don't believe that there are any metals that are liquid at room temp. or lower, or at least ones that are not toxic. As with mercury, they can't use that (at least in the US) because of health issues. So, I'd say this is a BS article. I don't even see how they could do this.

-SkyHi

Oh, HOLY CRAP, this is possible, right after posting I decided to research, and aparently it's possible.

An alloy of gallium and indium. It is liquid well below room temperature, with a boiling point in the ballpark of 2000 C.

Another neat trick is that the system has no moving parts. The tubing passes through a magnetic feild. A pair of electrodes stick into the liquid metal and introduce a DC electric current, effectively creating a liquid electromagnet. The electric current through the magnetic feild is exactly the same as single winding of an electric motor - except the motor force is directly on the liquid metal itself. This force pumps the liquid around the cooling loop.

Silent, and no failure prone moving parts.

Holy ****, as I'm reading, gallium aparently is the more fluid part, and indium, which will have a less concentration in the solution, will help to keep it a bit more solid. This will be able to take temps of to about 2000 degrees without boiling, too. This is fricken sweet stuff, but the price.. will be extremely high.

-SkyHi

I don't believe that there are any metals that are liquid at room temp.
Yeah, I saw you posted again, but I was about to say, I had found a site where they sold little tubes of liquid metal, I almost wanted to buy some because it'll turn into a fluid really easy and thought it'd be fun to play with lol.

What they did was take a piece of glass and smear this metal on one side of the glass and it since it was reflective it basically made it a metal....granted it didn't quite melt at room temp, you had to heat it but BARELY, so I don't know how good of a mirror it'd make....get a really hot summer day and your mirror melts :p

And yeah as been said mercury is highly lethal lol.

Liquid metal is cooling, but sub ambient temps, I just don't know about that, although I do see that little exerpt you posted SkyHi, but yeah I guess I'll just have to see more articles before I believe it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom