which linux and were to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
not if you install a pre-compiled version. if you want to install from scratch then definately YES. xotix - ill jsut time it

koldapu - u should definately be alright.

i agree with sithspawn - don't you want to customize it to suit your needs and your pc agex??

okay i push the power button comes up to grub - select linux and start the timer :)
13 seconds to get to the gdm login screen. type in my little username and passwd, then another 5 seconds to get into gnome, everything loaded.

total - about 20 seconds, with me typing in my username/passwd as well.

I don't know if I am going to keep it though - Need to check it out first.

Am I going to have any trouble installing it on a SATA?

xotix said:
koldapu - u should definately be alright.

i agree with sithspawn - don't you want to customize it to suit your needs and your pc agex??

so then which version should i get?

nice, very nice.
agex and koldapu how long does it take you guys to boot into windows??

it isnt really compatible with windows apps. although there is generally a simlair and more powerful tool in linux. for example wnamp = xmms. office = openoffice (free!!). you can get some very common proggies under linux - for example photoshop. or you can get something similair like GIMP (which is a lot more powerful than photoshop)

i would tell you suse, because thats the one i know.

but sithspawn speaks highly of gentoo.

so check em out both and see which one you prefer.

well im not sure about installing sata on other flavours, but gentoo gives you options to load certain drivers when you first boot up into the livecd (eg SATA, RAID)

yeah i agree with xotix. read around till you find one you feel comrotable with. Im only supporting gentoo cause i know it, and im sure its the same for xotix. But you could like a completely different one (like mandrak or fedora or debian), so read up and pick one you think sounds the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom