which linux and were to get? - Page 13 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2004, 06:14 AM   #121 (permalink)
Super Techie

"I'm not sure Linux will autimatticaly detect RAID and SATA....there are often things you have to configure youself after installations."
all you have to do is enable these things in the kernel that the livecd boots you up onto. same as on windows xp setup except you dont need the drivers on hand.

And look guys - theres no EASY way to do this. You cant just downlaod linux and expect it to install as easily as windows does. Its somehting you need to read up on and investigate. Yeah there is a lot of trial and error involved, and you will probably loose everything on your disk once or twice. Thats why you should back everything up so it doesnt matter if you loose it, read up on any articles you can find and then go nuts.

I cant give you a step by step installation guide in this forum as it is just such a long process, and i dont claim to be an expert in the field. Like i said - research it on google and read as much as you can until you find a really good howto. (generally just search howto *what you want to know*)

Old 08-22-2004, 08:38 AM   #122 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

welcome back sithspawn, you guys reach 4 pages, wow.

i 2nd what sithspawn said. make sure you back up everything. if its possible, you could put windows and linux on 2 different hard drives.
guys you're going to need to have to do some reading and have to take some time to install linux.

Old 08-22-2004, 08:45 AM   #123 (permalink)
Super Techie

haha. thanks. got need for speed out of my system.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:56 AM   #124 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Originally posted by sithspawn
haha. thanks. got need for speed out of my system.

xotix - That Gentoo URL u posted, is it 64-bit?

Closed Thread