which linux and were to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

U-Toast

Fully Optimized
Ok, i know there at different linux distributors, but what would u guys recommend me to use on a p3 800 mgz with 512 ram. What are the differences? and were can i download it?

I heard good things about SuSE and Redhat. You can get then at their websites.

lol. ive posted this a couple of times already but i recommend gentoo. if you dont like gentoo try mandrake. Redhat and SuSE are fine, but they are a little less user friendly than gentoo. The reason i am suggesting gentoo is because it is the easiest to learn, and the installation guides go through everything and all the choices step by step so that you know what your doing the whole way.

Hey sithspawn, are there any copies of Linux that u can download for free which are capable of processing at 64-bit???

lol - Nevermind... U posted that while I was typing.

But I don't understand what makes Linux better than Windows, besides more stability.

i would recommend suse. i don't know much about gentoo, but i love suse.

agex linux is faster, safer and more secure. virus trojans worms etc are prone to atacking windows. linux costs way less than windows and is free if u want to download it.

well the stability is a big factor. Not jus that, you get too configur a whole lot more. I mean, most windows users probably dont even know what a kernel IS, let alone what it does and how it works. In linux, you actually get too configure HOW your kernel works and what it does.
You see - in a way, no linux installation is the same. If you choose to bootstrap the source to your CPU, and emerge the entire system from scratch (it takes about 20-30 hours but what the hey!!) what you have is an os that has been built, from the ground up, to exactly match your hardware, and use everything to its full potential. You dont need to waste resources having your kernel do things that you dont even need!! Not too mention the shear power and control you have over everything that is happening in the environment. (also it is a hell of a lot more secure than windows. No need for Anti-virus in linux, cause it would be insanely hard to execute a virus in linux)

Of course i am just scratching the surface here. There are millions of reasons why linux is a better os than windows. im sure you could find some very good articles on this somewhere on the web.

Beutiful... Thx a lot sithspawn - I really appreciate u taking the time to write all of that.

Would u happen to know if SuSE of Redhat (I'd like to check those versions out due to full contol of the o/s) have any 64-bit version to download free?

Thx again! :D

yeah. i use gentoo. tried mandrake and redhat too. but definately prefer gentoo.

and agex000 - no problem!! I dont mind taking the time to write a couple of posts if it is enough to convert a windows user!
:). and you would be able to download a dist off their respective websites. Im not sure what you meant about full control over the os though, cause gentoo definately has that. all linux flavours do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom