linksys print server

Status
Not open for further replies.
was just talking to linksys assistant live, support person left me hanging for about ten min, so screw it, im taking it back and getting a jetdirect box.

i don't know why anyone would buy a "print server" I think its pointless to pay 30+ for a stupid USB or ETHERnet connector that plugs into the printer and shares is, you can pay 5 bucks for a POS windows 98 system, stick 2000 on it or something, no matter how many printers you need u stick in a freaking usb hub and plug in all your printers and share it. Thats exactly wat i'd do, you don't need to configure much and u dont need a monitor or keyboard plugged in once u got it set up, u install the print drivers, right click the printer and click share.

we are installing a bar coding system in our plant and we need the printer to have an actual ip address not a computer with a shared printer. That will not work for what we are doing.

You can buy a computer for $5? where!? You are missing the point of a print server completely. It is not just so you can share it, it is so you can easily share it. If you have printers in different rooms or differnt buildings for all that goes how will you physically connect this printer to the "POS computer/print server" via USB or Parallel it is simply not possible. You are paying for ethernet capability when you buy that $30 print server so that you can plug it in to any open ethernet port and have it only depedent on itself (assuming everything is ok with the network).

Its just too bad that all the print servers out today (with, as far as I know, the exception of the D-Link) require some piece of trash proprietary piece of driver software.

I miss the good old days when print servers meant installing a standard TCP/IP port and printing directly to the printer. (We used to do this on HP Lasers at my old job w/ JetDirect cards)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom