Life expectancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

Daemon Poster
How long will u thing this computer will last. I plan on getting a new mobo down the road im a sophomore in hight school now and i plan i keeping this computer for college and getting a laptop so i would use this for gaming i will probably have to upgrade a bit in 3 years but then use my laptop for school related stuff and maybe if the price goes down quite a bit on the good ones i might play games on my laptop also but i highly doubt it cause it will be soo expensive to get a laptop to play good games but do u think my processor will last me i leave my computer on at least 12 hours a day and occasionaly overnight for the summer and the temp are idle-28-32C under a load 45C max but when school starts its usually only on for like 6 hours a day. U think ill be ablt oto use this in like 3 years or will i have to start from scratch again

The life span on a CPU is something like 500,000 hours

Once it dies it'll be years old and you'll probberly be dead by then! ;) (well not really)

If you take care of it, it should last you a while. MY old IBM PC 166 is still around. It only runs an 166MHz, but it still ran the last time I turned it on.

The CPU will last for 1000000 on average. But thing like capacitors on the motherboard and the PSU will not last nearly as long as that due to heat.

There is no saying when it will die, and there is no point in worrying until it does, as it is a perfect excuse to get a new one or it is out of date anyway.

The cooler the PC is the longer it will last.

I don't think you'll have to start from scratch in three years but maybe go with upgrades.

The best way to get the longest life possible would be to get a very reliable power supply, try to keep temperatures as low as possible, avoid constant boot, and ridiculously high overclocks supported by insufficient cooling and unsafe temperatures.

A water cooling rig would obviously be one of your most cost-effective solutions for maintaining low temperatures.

Umm Tom HardWare guild proves the point!

They set an Intel and AMD computer up and made them use full usage they were the stress for like 18 days then they had a look to see the problem.

CPU ran perfect!

The mobo didn't though, the thermal diode failed along with other things!

I'll post the URL in a bit.

Heyyo,

Comps can last for years. heck, even old apple stoneage junkers are still alive and kicking. As long as it doesn't overheat, I'm sure it can easily last you many years, I'd say 50+. This is on default clock settings btw, OCing easily knocks off 1/2 of its life as you're forcing it to run much faster than it should.

I'm sure you can leave a cop on for a few days, but that's unhealthy, always good to give a comp a break.

It ain't unhealthy to leave your computer on, servers run for years with no reboot. Your computer will last longer than you if you treat it properly, except maybe the hard drive as it's mechanical and the CMOS battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom