Lga775 Fan/heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzi9mm

Fully Optimized
I have a P4 LGA775. My Processor has been running very hot for not being overclocked. It is average 60c, Im thinking about replacing the fan/heatsink with the stock one that came with it. But it has this wierd stuff on the bottom of the stock heatsink. It is like a very hard grey colored putty (square shape) I think it might be thermal tape but im not sure and if it is thermal tape do I need to put on thermal paste with it. Also If i want to clean the paste off my cpu but I dont have any Isoperyl alcohol what can I use. thanks

For a 2.8 GHz, that is hot. It should run in the neighborhood of 44C-53C (Idle/Load). I had the same problem. Please check some of my monthly bulletins that I post. I have posted advice to many LGA775 overclockers and it is that they shouuld not get any aftermarket air cooling since the stock LGA775 hsf is the best air cooling you could ever get. It is rated up till 4700 RPM and mine stays at 3900 RPM to cool my P4 2.8 GHz/520 @ 3.73 GHz at 67C full load.

To clean off the paste, you need to use a tissue and odn't scrath the surface. Make sure you do not use any chemical cleaners. Yes you do need to put on thermal paste. Use some arctic silver or anything other than the stock paster. The sotkc paste is horrible and if you use aftermarket paste, it usually shaves off 4-5C off of the full load temps which generally allows for nearly 300 MHz more of oc w/o being paranoid about temps.

Sorry for my typing, but I'm in a rush.

Do you actualy have any conclusive evidence that the stock hsf is better than any other or are you just rating by fan speed ignoring the fact that other heat sinks could yeild better results from having a larger fan and heat pipes?

Thanks Megadeth2 I now have an idle temp of 38c and a full load temp of 63c (after 1 hour of Doom 3 on 800x600 High Quality) My other HSF was like 46c idle and 70C full load. Also it is very quiet..

I would just buy a new heatsink/cpu fan. Will only cost around 60$ togather, plus stock heatsinks/cpu fans are always weak. That temp for your cpu wont be a problem. Your processor is not under stress, if your going to do anything with your heatsink/cpu fan, get new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom